Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Zombie Ate My Child's Head (and other topics)

It happens every so often, and it appears often has rolled around again...I have more topics than days in which to write them.  So here goes...

The Zombie Ate My Child's Head:  There is something called an, "incident report" at school that teachers fill out and have you sign when something happens to your child.  The teachers of my children know that we understand kids are kids and things happen.  As such, we don't get nearly the number of incident reports as more concerned/anxious/overprotective parents might receive.  However, when something happens in the head region, they are required by day care licensing law to notify us.  Usually, these notifications make us laugh.  Last week apparently my son was bitten by another son on his face.  The report was very specific in what happened.  What it didn't say was what my son did to provoke the attack.  After some text messages with his teacher and chuckling on my end, it turns out the offender, Atticus, was not a zombie, he was just perturbed my son stole his truck. 

F is for Facebook:  I use Firefox for a browser, but many of the browsers are predictive these days as they want to make suggestions to where you might be trying to go on the internet.  I've noticed that not only is Facebook big, it's taken over an entire letter of the alphabet.  All you need to is type the letter "F" into your browser and it suggests "www.facebook.com".  

Gifts Across Time (Or the Rubber Duckie Soap):  My in-laws got my son this rubber duckie encased in blue glycerine soap when he was, oh I don't know, four-months-old.  My son didn't know what ot do with it and we didn't know how to use it with him either.  Now, nearly three years later, it's a big hit at our house.  It's the number one reason my two children make a mess at the sink while washing their hands again and again and again.  They love this rubber duckie soap.   I think there may well be a period of mourning when the soap is no longer soap and merely a rubber duckie. 

The Medical Questionnaire:  At the start of the new year many people switched insurance companies or policies.  Out of necessity I had to switch because the state high-risk insurance pool I was under was discontinued with the implementation of the health care act.  My new insurance company (which also covers my husband and children under a different policy) sent us all an invitation to fill out a survey.  If we took the fifteen minutes to do so, they would send us a fifty dollar gift certificate.  I know this is because they want to do data mining on those they insure, but I didn't have an issue telling them more about my medical history or habits, nor did my husband.  He filled out the survey and told me it was pretty easy.  A few days later I did so as well.  When I was done I came upstairs and told him I felt pretty darned good about myself after answering their questions.  So many of them were directed towards mental health, stress and healthy living.  I'm happy.  I have a great husband, wonderful family and happy life.  Yes, I am not without my medical problems, but hey, I'm happy.  Realizing that, I think, made my day. 

Residual Creativity:  My children have some wonderful sitters.  We have the best teens that come to take care of my children.  They have energy, they're exciting and they have imagination that is overflowing.  Last night, we had two of those teens take care of our children.  This morning, instead of wanting to watch Sesame Street, my son wanted to go back to the bonus room with his sister because, "he had important things to do" up there.  The residual excitement and creativity is so worth it.  Hold on, wait, does that mean we're old and boring as adults?!

Your wife is old?:  I'm not sure how to take this.  Last night at our event my husband and I were talking to two fellow board members.  I really like these two guys; they're fun and friendly and the kind of people you always enjoy being with at any event.  Age came up and I said, "wait a minute, I started having children late, I didn't have my first child until I was forty."  Suddenly they realized I was forty-four and for some reason, that was not a sad thing, that was something to celebrate.  They were high fiving my husband and telling him, "way to go man" and I was confused.  I think it was a compliment that I was old, but managed to seem young?  Who knows.  At any rate, it's good to be appreciated, regardless of your age. 

The Big Boy Update:  Conversation my son had with his sister:  "Reese, do you want to marry me?  I'm the prince."  <no reply>  "Reese, do you want to marry me?  I'm a dragon."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Today we went to REI together.  My daughter didn't want to sit in a cart so I let her walk.  THREE SECONDS LATER...and she's gone.  Seriously, how do you lose a child in three seconds?  She weaved her way around the clothing rounds and was gone.  I wasn't worried (because clearly she wasn't upset) but I got several staff members looking out for, "a small child with messy blonde hair."  After a lap around the store I saw an employee grinning and walking slowing, pointing downwards.   She didn't even notice I was missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment