Monday, February 24, 2014

The Oreo Tooth

My son's discolored tooth had me thinking back to my childhood and the days of loose teeth and the memory of that strange sensation of a freshly missing tooth in your mouth.  But this story isn't about my mouth, it's about my friend's.

She had a loose tooth that she was waggling back and forth but didn't quite have the nerve to pull out.  It was one of her top front teeth and she didn't have the experience to know yet that it's far better to rip it out and get it over with than deal with the bother over days or weeks. 

We were eating Oreos and swinging in the hammock in our front yard.  Back then, the hammock was close to the front door.  These days those sturdy trees are long gone, cut down when they started impinging on the house, but back then, they were young and healthy.

So we were swinging and eating Oreos and we had made a lovely pile of leaves under the hammock in case we decided to roll out.  It was a nice fall day and I am certain our parents were more than glad we were occupying ourselves and letting them enjoy the day.

About that time my friend told me there was something hard in the filling of her Oreo.  She spit it out into the leaves.  You know what's coming next, right?  She realized a few minutes later--interestingly enough, not immediately--that her tooth was missing. 

Thus ensued a long and exhaustive search through a large pile of leaves for that tooth...because she needed it for the Tooth Fairy.   We must have had more patience as children, because we looked long enough and eventually found the tooth.

The Big Boy Update:  Tower of trucks.  I got another truck for them today.  Children seem to like to things like dump trucks around backwards, usually running, for no apparent reason.  Uncle Dale's childhood trucks are very popular and one more truck, somewhat bigger was only going to make the fun more funny.  One of the first things my son did was to put the smaller dump truck in the back of the new dump truck.  Then he put the tow truck in the top of that dump truck and when I looked next, he was trying to balance a fourth truck on top. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Purple.  My daughter has taken a recent liking to the color purple.  She has a water bottle that she likes to tote around and hold with her Mickey Mouse or baby or other stuffed animal.  She didn't want snack today unless I could put it in the purple bowl for her.  The purple bowl was in the dish washer.  She decided she didn't need snack in that case.

No comments:

Post a Comment