Friday, July 13, 2012

When Are We Truly Adults?

At what point are we truly ready to be adults?  I was thinking about this recently because my parents had gone on a trip and were out of touch.

I speak with both of my parents regularly.  My mother and I have a great time catching up on what's happening in each others lives. My father and I talk about computer things and he gives me advice on plants or hardware things around the house.

My husband's parents are also great people I like to talk to and get advice from.  My father-in-law is an excellent person to talk to for investment advice.  And my mother-in-law will help you out with advice on anything you can think of.

But sometimes, when our parents are away, say when my in-laws went to India for three weeks early this year, there's a little void in my life.  When my parents aren't available to call for advice or to just chat, there's a void.  It's a comfort knowing you can call the prior generation and get their feedback or advice and then you can go on being your normal adult self knowing you've consulted your personal family experts.

If nature follows the route it was designed to take, parents dying before their children, some day I won't have any parents there to talk to for advice.   The thought of my parents dying is a very sad one, but the thought of a child dying before the parent is a worse one.

So some day I'll have to be the, "final adult." but for now, I'm going to be grateful that I have a generational tier of adults I can turn to for all kinds of things.

Thanks mom and dad for always being there.

The Big Boy Update:  Friends.  He has friends.  They come over on Friday nights for Movie Night and they are all older than he is, but he thinks they are grand.  They have started looking at him like another child too, teaching him how to fist bump and letting him sit on the sofa with them.  He loves Friday nights.


The Tiny Girl Chronicles: Milk twice a day.  We worried with my son that he was getting enough formula and eating with enough regularity.  With my daughter, she likes solids so much and is such a hearty eater that she gets milk only twice a day.  With the rolls of fat she's building, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment