Monday, July 23, 2012

Once You Go Hot, You Can't Not

I never liked hot things.  Spicy-type of hot.  "Ouch," my mouth would say.  And I wouldn't understand how people could like things so spicy.  It seemed like people who liked spicy things, needed that spicy.  I am beginning to understand now.

When I was in my early twenties I had my first positive experience with a hot sauce.  A neighbor loved all things hot and spicy and he said there was a good chance I disliked hot sauces because most of them are made with vinegar.  He had these Melinda's sauces that were made with only the chili pepper, onions and carrots.  We went to Hooters one night and he brought his sauce along.  I remember putting some of the sauce on saltines and eating them and not having that terrible, uncomfortable burn in my mouth that you just have to wait out.

After that, I went another twenty years of not liking chili-spicy-pepper-hot.  During pregnancy number two, my theory being pregnant women crave things so I might as well use the time to culture a new taste, I worked on liking spicy hot things.  And I succeeded.

I had always thought the spicy hot flavor would drown out any real flavor a dish might have.  The heat does tend to strong arm a dish, but it doesn't eradicate the flavor like I thought it might.  Now, dishes I used to get with no heat (say a burrito) I can add the extra hot sauce onto the order I've had for years, enjoy the item just as much with the same flavors, only now hotter.

I am starting to understand the, "need for heat" some people have.  Sure, I could go without the habenero sauce, but golly, it's so much better with it.  It seems that once you turn the spicy button on, it's hard to turn off.

The Big Boy Update:  Battle of wills.  About two weeks ago we had a challenge of wills.  He didn't want to eat the breakfast food.  He wanted to eat nothing, get down and play.  It was foods he liked but he wanted to piddle in them.  We told him he had to have one more bite of any of the items of food and he could get down.  He understood us, that was clear.  But he wasn't going to budge.  His Mimi arrived but he wouldn't take that one bite in order to get down and play with her.  An hour later, with my husband and me taking shifts, he finally took one bite.  We told him how proud we were and let him down.  It wasn't a fun battle, but we lasted him out.  Stay tuned for his next act of defiance...

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Up up and up.  I would report all sorts of exciting things, but of late all she wants to do is crawl to pull up and stand.  She's getting better at getting back down via prat falls.  She is getting somewhat less-bruisy as she can control herself on the way down.  She is also crawling faster every day.  I'm going to start calling her, "Zoom."


Fitness Update:  Eight weeks and holding.  Exercising more and I'm both less and more hungry.  Heck, last night I made a trip to the grocery store just for ice cream (shame on mamma.) But at eight weeks after hitting my weight loss goal, I'm still holding.

No comments:

Post a Comment