Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spheres of Awareness

Or... "Wow, there are a lot of runners."  Maybe it's the time of year.  Maybe it's that I started running myself.  Either way, there has been a massive increase in the number of runners around (or so it would seem.)

That's the way it seems to work though.  You look at getting a new car and once you get home with your shiny new car, you realize every third person on the road is driving the same thing you are.  We just went through this with the minivan.  Before we bought one, I never noticed just how omnipresent they are.  It's eerie how parking lots (in my mind) had a minivan here or there until we bought one and now I can barely find our car in the rows and rows of similarly-colored minivans.

Dump trucks.  There's another one that was a true surprise.  I know mud, dirt, rocks, and just trash needs to be hauled here and there, but not until I knew someone who worked with them all the time did I notice how many there were on the roads all day long.

Pregnant women!  Did you know if you are pregnant, 487% more pregnant women walk across your line of sight than at any other time in your life?  It's uncanny.

And now joggers.  There are so many.  They are out at all times of day, and even at night doing their running thing.  It's clear they have multiplied and moved to my area of town because this time last year I didn't notice a single one.

Strange how we notice things that are pertinent to us, isn't it?

The Big Boy Update:  Watching TV.  He can sit still and watch TV now.  Not for a whole show, or even that long.  But I put a pillow on the floor when he wasn't tired enough for a nap and put on a kid's show.  He sat down on the pillow and just watched.  No running around, no going to the closet for toys.  I had heard from a friend that they get where they're interested enough to stop and watch.  He's made it there.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Standing up in the pool.  I filled the wading pool yesterday, got both babies naked and stuck them in it on the deck.  She liked the water, but she loved getting up and down by pulling up and holding on to the pool edge. She was standing and sitting, reaching and grabbing the whole time.  Her brother climbed in and out while she stood there—but I could tell she was thinking, "Next year that'll be me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment