Wednesday, July 25, 2012

To Whom It May Concern, and It's None of Your Business

Writing a blog is an interesting thing.  You're out here, on the grand internet, telling about your life, your thoughts, your experiences.  It's like a journal or a diary.  It's sometimes thematic, sometimes random.  But it's personal.  

Because you chose to make it public, you're sharing that personal component with anyone who chooses to read the blog.  I mentioned a while back that you're sharing anything you write not only today, but any day in the future, because just like books, you can turn back the pages of the blog and see what was written in the past.

So your audience is anyone reading the blog now, and anyone who might ever read it.  So how do you balance writing for you, about the things you want to write about, and writing for an audience?

I don't have an answer to that question.  I'm still balancing.  Consider that I have beliefs that are not up for debate with other people.  I have opinions about which I feel confident and would not be reticent to share.  I don't go out of my way to offend someone, or to argue against their likes, dislikes or beliefs.  And yet there is a level of censorship that happens when writing a blog.

It happens because it's not a diary.  I like writing about my ideas and thoughts, but there are some topics I'm intrinsically bound to avoid.   What topics you ask?  Let's see, finances, my personal relationship with my husband, personal details about friends or family, potty issues—oh wait, I talk about, "the potty" all the time lately—but mostly my personal thoughts that should remain just that, personal.

So the blogging medium is really, to me, a "to whom it may concern," or more accurately, "to those interested in taking the time to read" because a blog is public.  If you want to write privately, get off the internet.

The Big Boy Update:  "My park."  He knows the word, "park" and he definitely knows, "my" and "mine."  Yesterday with the new swing set installed we went outside and he said, "park!"  My husband told him that yes, it was a park and that it was his park.  He started saying, "my park."  It was too cute.


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Feed me.  No, scratch that, give me the food and let me feed myself.  She loves to put anything food-related into her mouth.  She's doesn't swallow too much at once, but she is a voracious eater.  I spoon-feed her only part of what I used to, letting her eat a variety of things after the first container of food.  She can happily sit and eat for thirty minutes, trying different textures and flavors.  He grasp is great.  She can move things from one hand to the other even so she can get the food into a better position for putting into her mouth.

Fitness Update:  Bike and Swing.  My neighbor and I were going to run this morning.  She wasn't able to make it and I'm rather glad because I wanted to take the new bike for a ride.  I needed a break from running at any rate.  Also, new swing!  I love swinging.  Have always loved swinging.  The new swing set/slide/fort for the children has a great swing on it.  I swung for twenty minutes last night and twenty minutes this morning.  Swinging is an energetic thing if you're working at it.  I may spend more time on the swing set than my children, I like it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment