Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Not Ready For a Guest

It's after one in the morning.  The house mostly is in order.   My desktop is visible again and I'm about to have this blog post written.   I've left the children (guinea pig children) in the middle of a cage cleaning out to come downstairs, "for five minutes" to do "one quick thing" and it's been hours.  

One quick thing always leads to another twelve quick things.   At least they're quick things. 

My website developer is coming tomorrow and we're finishing up the work on the site.   It's not a spectacular site by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, when I look at it I think there's not much there at all.  Which is good.   It shouldn't be complicated and cluttered.   There are only a few reasons people would find their way to our site.  Having a clear navigation path for every use case was something we thought through. 

I've never done website development like this before.  I had a great time.  I'd think we were getting close to being done when I'd get an email saying, "what is your privacy policy, if you don't have one, you need one."  Followed by some information on how to create a valid privacy statement.  

There were lots of things like that that happened.  What surprised me was how things changed multiple times as we went through the development.   I *knew* how someone would do something on our website. What information they'd want and how they'd come to us to find it.  

A week into developing that solution I would realize we'd assumed something that invalidated the whole scenario.   We could make changes quickly.  And by we, I mostly mean Asylum, who did all the hard work for the site.   He's been invaluable in so many ways to Filament Stories.   

So aside from not being quite ready for him to arrive, I'm ready to get this site published!

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is great at helping—until she isn't.   She wanted to do lots of things today, but cleaning up things was not one of them.   

The Big Boy Skiier:  My son and husband survived a week of skiing blacks and now black diamonds together with no injuries.   Hooray for no injuries!  They come home tomorrow.  I've missed them both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment