Sunday, January 22, 2023

In Advance Instead of In Haste

It's typically the end of the night when I sit down to write these posts.  Commonly I'm tired and have just finished the last thing I can manage before going up to sleep.  That's when it hits me, "I haven't written a blog post."   So I sit down and hastily write a post about something that is memorable about the day. 

And memorable is very subjective.   I feel like these posts, and the blog in general, have been suffering.  That seems like a theme with my life right now.   And when I stop to think about it it's ridiculous.   We put out one minute of video content every day, skipping a day here or there when it suits us.   Sixty seconds of content.   How in the hell can I be so busy as a result?

I wrote about having my head in a hole like the story of the ostrich, ignoring as much as I can about the outside world and focusing solely on the internals of our lives here.   But that's not true.  At all, really.   What I do actively avoid is getting sucked into reading the comments and/or obsessing about how something we've posted is doing.   We've made over 515 posts on each platform.   That's a lot of comments to like, questions to respond to, new connections made with people and companies.   Every day. 

In that light I can see how things have snowballed.   I had a fellow content creator tell me when we were approached by the first companies that it would get a lot more hectic.   At this point I'm ignoring a lot of things.   I'm in a Discord chat group with a small subset of 3D printing content creators, many of whom are far larger than us.  Everyone helps each other.  We all want to be successful together, which is why i really enjoy being in the group.   We share our experiences, good and bad, with companies.   It's given me a lot more confidence that it's okay to not respond.   In addition, if I respond, it should never be me that responds.   It's like the car dealership where you have to go ask the pit boss or manager or whatever they're called, to see if you can work that deal.   It's a layer of separation that makes negotiations easier.  

Some days I'm not sure I'm cut out for this.   The 3D printing I love.   Making the videos is hard work, but it's fun.   It's the Producer, Agent, Project Manager type role that I'm not good at.  I hate it so much I ignore things that I should probably not.   I'm going to see how my new plan works for the next month or so.   I love the people I've met and the 3D printing community.   It's been amazing, having people tell you they appreciate what you're doing.  I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can at every part of this Social Media Content Creator Influencer or whatever you want to call it, "job" I've managed to get myself into. 

The Chess Game:  My daughter and two of "the boys" came up to the bonus room this afternoon.  I was checking on Kix when they came in.  There are a number of, "the boys" that come over.  There is one girl, but she's less often visiting.   Everyone gets along very nicely.  In this case, they had my son's chess set and wanted to play a game.  I mentioned I had a 3D printed set and they wanted to know if they could use it.  People wanting to use my 3D printed things?  I leaped out of the chair to go fetch it, putting Kix up as I headed out. I really liked seeing them playing chess and Scrabble instead of video games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment