Monday, September 7, 2020

So Many Models

There are so many 3D models I want to print.   My daughter's VI teacher gave me a list of some things they might be able to use and it's kept me occupied or perhaps obsessed if my children and husband are to be polled on the subject.   It's fun to print something for the sheer purpose of printing it, but to have a use for something makes it much more interesting. 

One of the things I've had a lot of fun on is mathematical objects.   A blind child can feel a die and know what a cube is.   What about the other platonic solids or even the Archemedial solids?   What about Scutoids?   (You know you want to look that one up.)

I've also been looking for articulated models that are print in place.   There is a gecko that is not only adorable, it's movement straight off the printer is mesmerizing.  I printed an articulated flapping bird and a shark that moves and has a jaw that opens and closes (with teeth).   

Then there were the snowflakes.   I found a collection of twelve snowflakes, all different,  that a blind child can feel to understand how snowflakes are all different.   

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu that I've written about this already, so I'll cut this short because it's late and I need to de-clog the advancer on the printer again (the maintenance is just part of the job).   I wrote some emails on the same things as above, but my mind is a complete blank at this time today.   

Tomorrow I'll get back to printing some things for my children, as they're sad I'm giving away a lot of the things I've printed, like the different varieties of leaf shapes.   The one thing I've had the most fun with that I'm looking forward to printing another copy of though is a hinged square that unfolds and then folds back up as a triangle.   See?  Math.   So many fun math things to print.   Well, so many fun things to print just in general.   

The Big Boy Update: My son sometimes insists on having his food delivered in special ways, like the noodles in one bowl and the sauce in another.   I don't pander to this paricularness, but my husband doesn't mind.   It's not a bad thing, it's just a level of inflexibility I don't like to encourage.  Tonight, it came back to bite my son when he got so particular and angry about how the meatball was placed in the bowl next to the pasta that my husband snapped.   The catering days are over I think.   My son wasn't happy about it.   He shouldn't have yelled at his father, who had made him dinner and then served him in the manner he had done many times before.   Unfortunately. my husband couldn't read my son's mind and was unable to know exactly what configuration he wanted tonight. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  It was room cleaning day and when my husband went upstairs to check on things, he grabbed a cardboard box against the wall.   After he'd broken down all the cardboard and taken the bin out to be recycled for tomorrow, he disovered it was a precious box to my daughter.   She wailed and said she'd named the box Robert and she loved the box and fitted inside it.   Life was darned near over.   My husband felt badly for not mentioning it or asking her, he was just cleaning up for recycling day.   We both assured her there would likely be another box in the mail soon from Amazon.   She was not mollified, but she did calm down enough so she could go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment