Wednesday, September 23, 2020

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

You've seen the collection of binders we have for my daughter's distanced learning before but I wanted to put up an updated picture because there is something amiss about the collection it seems to me.   Can you spot it?  Here's a hint: one of the subjects seems to have a lot less focus than the others.


If you guessed science, you would be right.   I'm not sure why there is less focus on science and social studies.   There is a thirty minute asynchronous block each day that coveres both subhects.  There are some videos to watch on the computer and likely that's a good bit of the difference because you're not practicing like you are with "readin' writin' and 'rithmetic".   

My daughter does have some tools to help with the science materials that are tactual.   This is "Sally" that the school sent home for her to feel and talk about with the lessons.   


And then there's this, my favorite part of her curriculum because it explains so much that words alone wouldn't be able to convey.   The materials go into a lot more depth than she'll need in third grade, but look at how much information is displayed in these pages:






We have a three-dimensional model of an eye, but this might help her understand some things that model can't.   I'm debating bringing up the page and seeing if she's interested.   She may not be, it's hard to tell what she's ready to talk about.



My daughter's quarter ends part-way through next week.   Then we've got one child in school and one out of school for three weeks.   If all goes well (is approved by the school board) my daughter will go back to school one week in three after the break.   We are hoping all goes well...

The Big Boy Update:  Everyone is tired of the negative or restrictive ways in which COVID-19 has changed our lives.   My son asked his father after school, "Dad, when will Rayan be able to come in the house again?"   We used to have a house that practically bustled with children.   Or maybe a better word would be 'rampaged'.   It's been March since we've had children other than our own inside.   My son wants to show Rayan his new computer and play games with him.   They're outside now, playing socially distanced streetball, but it would be nice to get back to normal.   We all miss normal. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter had an assignment for art class we realized she hadn't turned in.   We realized this when all the other students were showing their work off in class on Monday.   Fortunately, my daughter wasn't called on.  She's ready for next week's class when the rest of the students will present their All About Me piece.   She's been having so much fun lately she wanted to add a balloon animal of a bunny that she's recently learned.   Interestingly, I showed her how to make it once and she's figured out how to do it—and do it remarkably like what I showed her—all on her own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment