Thursday, September 24, 2020

His & Hers

My husband was the one initially interested in 3D printing a few years ago.  Oh, sorry, this is another 3D printing post.   I still have the standard sections for each of my children below, so feel free to skip down if 3D printing isn't your thing.    Now back to you're recently regularly scheduled 3D printing update from this here channel.   My husband was interested but due to cost and general usefulness at the time, we passed on getting one.   When I became interested in getting one earlier this year, I thought my husband would be fighting me for printer time once we got it set up in the basement. 

I would print something, show it to him and the children with a level of enthusiasm and excitement that I am consistently teased by all members of my family these days about my obsession with 3D printing.   Then I would ask my husband if he wanted to print something next.   Prints take a long time, typically several hours with a large model taking over ten hours.   I didn't want to start a print only to find my husband had been waiting for my model to finish so he could print something. 

What he kept saying though was that it was okay, go ahead and print.   He was so good-natured about it.   It wasn't until a week or two in that he told me he wasn't as interested in printing like I was.  He said he'd let me know if he wanted to print something.  

I couldn't believe how he couldn't be fascinated by the whole printing process.  How suddenly you go from not having a thing to having that thing.   Okay, "suddenly" was a poor choice of words because 3D printing takes time.   But you can make your very own things and have them in the color you want them too.   How could my husband not be excited about printing?

My obsession continued which included the recent purchase of the small resin-based 3D printer.   I ordered some resins and was anticipating keeping both printers busy.   But after a few prints for some reason, I wasn't nearly as interested and I let the printer go idle for several days.  

On the third day, after watching some videos, my husband started printing on the resin printer.  He loves the print quality and the process.   He's been learning all about slicing and he's got the printer running most of the time.  

He's not that interested in my printer and I'm not as interested in his.   I suppose we have his and hers 3D printers.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been collecting receipts.   He tapes them to the headboard of his bed.   They're for strange things like a few items from the grocery store or the P.F. Chang takeout sheet from tonight.   I might have to face his wrath if I were to clean off his bed and remove them; he was serious when he told me to not mess with them.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Aunt Rebecca had sent me a text message the other day with a message to tell my daughter she sent her a hug.   I read the message to my daughter at a stoplight and then started driving.   My daughter wanted me to tell Aunt Rebecca, "this".   I was driving and had no idea what "this" was since I was driving.   My daughter said, "I'm putting my arms around her."  I told her I'd send Aunt Rebecca a message back letting her know she had sent an air hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment