Sunday, September 27, 2020

I Had Totally Forgotten About...

My daughter had wanted to go to Target today to get a much needed new water bottle.   The one she'd been using I think I got when she was three-years-old, and since she's almost nine, it's had a good life.   We didn't realize how much she needed a new water bottle until we went to clean it and discovered there was mold in places that were cracked and couldn't be replaced.  

My children love their water bottles and have been using one for most meals for years now.   As much as we get things wrong, we've cultured a preference for water over other liquids like juices.  Hopefully, this will serve my children well as they grow up.  

There was a second reason to go to Target, and that was for the children to get their father a birthday present.  We don't take them out much or go out much due to COVID-19, but they've been out enough to know the drill.  They had their masks on before we had parked and we calmly walked into the store. 

That's where the calm part of the story ended though, with both my children going wild in their own ways.   Eventually, I got them under control but as we were leaving (after getting the chocolate my daughter wanted for her father) we walked past a display in the middle of the aisle for cereal.   My son asked about it and I did something I would never have been allowed to do when I was a child:  I bought them all.

I had completely forgotten about the special Halloween cereals: Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry.   First of all, they're not the best cereals for you—by a long shot.  There is a lot of sugar, dyes, and artificial flavorings.   But they're so fun!

I wouldn't have wanted the cereal most likely when I was young because I think I tried them at my friend's house and didn't like the fruit flavor or chocolate cereal.   Still, they were from my childhood and I couldn't resist. 

I got home and my daughter wanted to try them all as I unpacked them and put them into the empty bins where we keep cereal that had recently been finished.   She liked Count Chocula the best. 

The Big Boy Update:  In Target, my son wanted to drive the cart and to do so like he was race car driving. For the most part, he was being safe and he definitely was following social distancing guidelines, but he was a little, okay a lot, energetic.   He helped me out though later in the trip when I had to leave his defiant sister.   He said he'd go back and help her.   He did, and by the time I caught back up with them, she was in a good mood again.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had problems in Target because she wanted to be independent and shop for herself.   She did not, at all, want me involved.   Also, she wanted to run up and down the aisles.  Also, she didn't want to use her cane.   Inside, I felt for her because she just wanted to be free and independent.   Outside, I had to be very firm with her because we were in a store with other people and we had to stay safe.   I checked out and left her in the store with nothing for her father for father's day because she wouldn't listen to me at all.   Her brother and a very nice lady who worked at Target and could see what was going down, helped by talking to my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment