Friday, September 4, 2020

Computer

My husband, after more than four years, upgraded his computer.   The result is my son now has a computer for the first time.  He'll be needing one for school soon enough to do assignments on, but for now, he's mostly excited about it because he can play games with his father. 

Perhaps most parents wouldn't be excited to see their child in front of a computer playing Minecraft, but I have a BS in Computer Science and spent my career pre-children doing software development and education in the industry.   So when I came downstairs today and saw for the first time my son at his own computer, I had to take a picture for posterities' sake.  

Oddly enough, this is to me a lot like the first day of school.   And yes, he's going to play a lot of games on his computer, but children learn at school through play.   The statistics on video gameplay aren't as negative as you might suspect, some studies reporting positive benefits to playing video games.  

That being said, too much of anything can be bad, and my son would overdose on screen time if we let him.   It'll be another balancing thing for us to work with my son on.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son at his new computer, creating something in Minecraft


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter scrapes herself when she bumps into things.   She also scratches a lot.   The combination of that and late summer hot weather in the back yard and her legs are a complete mess.   My husband and I just put fifteen bandaids on her legs in the hopes we could give them a chance to heal and/or not be scratched by my daughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment