Friday, September 25, 2020

Falling Asleep at the Keyboard

I traveled for many years and would take flights to the destination city in which I would be either teaching a class or doing consulting work.  I rather like flying, which was a good thing because I did a lot of it.  Over time I developed a habit of falling asleep before the plane took off. 

It was specific in that I was wide awake until the plane started to taxi, but as soon as we started to move on the ground, I would begin to get sleepy.  Typically, by the time the plane took off, I was asleep.   It wasn't a deep sleep—I knew we were about to take off because the pilot does the talking bit where they keep you apprised of the situation just up to the point you get ready to accelerate and take off. 

It would be only a few minutes after takeoff that I'd come out of my stupor and resume whatever I'd been doing on my computer.   I don't know how the habit started.  It wasn't bothersome and I even liked that it happened most of the time so I didn't try to break it.

This old habit has manifested itself again but this time it's when I'm sitting in front of the computer.   It's not all the time, as many days I'm working for hours without a break and I'm not in danger of falling asleep.   Sometimes though, it just hits me and I can't stay awake.

I'm not overly tired but the pull to fall asleep is very strong.  I fight it by repositioning myself, getting some water, walking around, or talking to my husband, but that doesn't always work.  The other day while watching the Tesla Battery Day presentations while sitting at my desk, I fell completely asleep.   I was very interested in what they were talking about, and yet I couldn't stay awake. 

Sometimes it happens while I'm writing blog posts, like tonight's, for example.   I've had to shake my head and try to stay focused at least five times so far—and I've only been writing for a few minutes.   I can lose track of the sentence I'm writing and I wonder if the post even hangs together with any cohesion of topic.  

But by the time I've fought my way through writing the post and not falling asleep, I'm not sure revising the post would help.   Today I was working at the computer when Edna came downstairs to clean.  I had no idea she'd arrived and she didn't know I was at the computer.   She woke me up accidentally, sitting in my chair, completely asleep.  

It's a mystery and a frustrating one at that.

The Big Boy Update:  My son brought home his work planner for school so we could go through it to see what he's been doing.   He also brought home some math work he's done in the last week.   His math looks so fun to me.   His worksheets are almost like the puzzle and game books I'd get at the book store before we went on a long trip.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's back is still bothering her from the fall off the swing.  She wanted to go to the chiropractor first thing this morning and didn't want to wait until after EL class.   We iced her back and I gave her Advil again today.   I think it's a bit better, but it looks like it's going to be a few days until she's back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment