Monday, June 1, 2020

Spelling Fail

There are a lot of words that aren't caught by spellcheckers.   This happens when a word is specific to a field, language or expertise.   I rely on spellcheckers to make it look like I can spell—which I'm terrible at.   I'm still tricked by the "i before e except after c" rule not because I don't know it, but because I'm typing away and the letters come out in an order that sounds right inside my head.

Words I still can't get correct no matter how many times I spell them include Hanukkah, hemorrhoids (which fortunately I don't have cause to spell often, still, it is a mystery how those letters come together), ophthalmologist, not to mention many shorter words that I'm stuck spelling wrong after years of misuse.

Sometimes I get to spelling a word and because spellcheck doesn't have a better suggestion, I add it to my dictionary so the little red squiggles don't come back.   Typically before I do this I confirm the spelling, but apparently not always.

I realized only a few days ago that I've been spelling "braillist" incorrectly as "braillest".   This is the job my daughter's teacher has.  I talk about her and the retired braillist, Mrs. Aagaard, all the time.    How rude of me!  I've got to figure out how to remove the incorrect spelling and add in the correct spelling.   And to top it all off, I look silly.

When this happens, the best thing I can do is point it out, laugh at myself, and do a better job going forward.   It makes me feel better, poking fun at myself for my mistakes.   We all make them, you might as well take the opportunity to laugh about.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl In-game Currency Discussions:   My son is prone to wanting to spend his money on in-game currency that, once converted to something other than dollars, seems like it isn't real money.   He's gone through his allowance in record time this way.   We've let him do this as a life lesson about how money can be spent quickly, without realizing it.   He's spent money on outfits, weapons, or other things inside one game that give him little time enjoyment from the game.   He's spent enough that when he wanted to buy another game, he couldn't because he was out of money.   We pointed out this to him and it is given him cause to rethink future expenses.   My daughter prefers to save her money but today she found an Amazon game she was enjoying and wanted to buy more "cheddar" so she could pop some more popcorn.   She bought a small amount, using her own money, not once but twice, that being the limit we would allow.   She still has cheddar to spend, but tomorrow I wonder if she will consider how fast the money went and the value of the time it took to spend it.   She might be a little harder to get a lesson brail because she has lots of money having rarely spent any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment