Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Part of Your World

When was it that my daughter and son watched The Little Mermaid?  I think it's been two weeks or so by now.   Ever since that time, my daughter has had an earworm for the song, "Part of Your World."  Not just the song though, just the chorus.  

She sings a lot.   And I mean a lot, but typically it's more than one song and commonly is just something she's making up in words and tune.  This song though has stuck and it's not budging.   Her brother has had about enough of it, getting frustrated and yelling at her to "STOP SINGING!"  This doesn't phase her.   We're working on helping the children understand that if you only get more annoyed or mad, you're letting the other person know they have something over you—and they'll keep on doing the annoying behavior.

My daughter ignores his requests, pleas and shouts to stop nowadays and keeps singing.   That would be okay by me except every time she launches into the song it gets stuck in my head too.   Just those five or six lines.   I've asked her to teach me more of the song, hoping that in so doing she'll sing more of the song herself.   She's played it enough on Alexa by now that she has the whole song memorized.  So far though, that tactic hasn't worked.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and husband have been getting on each other's nerves lately.  My husband is very, I repeat very, laid back.  When he yells, you know he's been pushed too far.   My son seems to think he doesn't have to listen and can overrun screentime without penalty.   Today he could have earned some screen time but he wasn't willing to do what his father said, pretending not to hear anything he said.   That didn't go over well either.   We always back each other up as parents.   He stayed in his room for most of the day, playing with toys and listening to the audiobooks his sister bought.   The start of summer has been a rocky one for him.   For once, interestingly enough, I'm the good guy.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has extravagant plans for her father for Father's Day.  She has already completed one of her projects but has a lot more lined up in her mind.   The biggest project I can't show here until after Father's Day on account of my husband reads these posts from time to time and I would never be forgiven if I gave away the secret too soon.    She and I worked for almost five hours on this project today.   We had a lot of fun, she has really insightful ideas that I never would have thought of.   I'm looking forward to Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment