Saturday, June 27, 2020

Over Fifty

This isn't about my age, although yes, I'm in my fifties now.   It's half-way through the year and I'm still acclimating to the new decade—but I'm getting there.

This story is about drawers.   I have this "craft room" that is not completely accurately named because there are lots more things in it than crafts, but it's where the crafting and art materials reside which is where it got its name from.    The problem with the room is it is out of organization.   That reads odd, perhaps, "it needs to be reorganized" would be a better phrase.

If you walked into the room you wouldn't think so, because everything is neatly put away.   The reason for the redo is things have changed over time and lots of stuffing of things here and there have been done and then I ran out of room but I still managed to acquire more stuff.   And so for quite some time now I've said I needed to revamp the room.   It's been such a daunting task that I've put it off.

I've started and made progress, but it's just too much.   I have loads and loads of those little drawer-based plastic bins.   I've been collecting both things and bins for half my life which has added up to a lot of bins and stuff.

What I need to do is go through everything, determine what needs to go, what needs to be combined with a similar thing in another area, what would fit better in this thing versus that thing and what things need to be close to the work desk in the room versus could be put in the attic.   There is new stuff that's piled in large plastic bins that are just dumped in and I can't find things.   I hate it when I can't find things.

Today I picked up the process of going through all the old so that I could free up room and find things more easily.   I still haven't put any of the bins full of stuff up, but at the end of the day, I had over fifty drawers empty and ready for tomorrow's work of putting everything else away.  

That sounds like a lot of drawers, I know.  Most of the drawers are in three or six-drawer small containers so the overall storage space isn't large, but it's huge in organizational change.   I was tired at the end of the day when I left the room but as I left and turned out the light, I turned around and smiled.  I'm looking forward to working in the room tomorrow.  For a long time, it's been a sense of dread and a feeling I'd never get it done.

The Big Boy Update:  It turns out there is something that's a higher value to my son than video games and screen time, which has sort of shocked my husband and me.   He loves audiobooks.   He and his sister are spending a lot of time together acting out things in the books they're listening to.   They roleplay the characters and storyline when they're not listening.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My ankle socks accidentally got sorted into my daughter's laundry a while back and since she mostly grabs things by feel, I noticed she was wearing them a few days later.   They're a bit too big on her but she loves them because they're very soft she says.   My daughter is still quite small, but it's interesting to have your child wearing something of yours for the first time.   I'm letting her wear the socks now.  She says they're her favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment