Thursday, April 2, 2020

They Were Inspirations

My mother-in-law has been using this time we're all sheltering at home to do something useful—and fun.   She's writing a children's book.   She started with some short stories she would read over the phone to the children at night.  My son was interested in being involved and my mother-in-law wanted to get the children involved so the next day she and my son got on the phone. 

I heard my son talking about different characters and the super powers they had.  Mt son had a lot of ideas and I heard my mother-in-law say at one point she wasn't sure she was going to be able to fit all the characters into the book.   She's been working on it though as chapters arrive via email and we or she reads them here. 

My daughter wanted to get into the action as well so I told her she could write Nana a letter with her ideas.  I've been having her do various things during school hours while we've been waiting to get more work material from her teachers.  She wasn't that keen on writing a letter at first but she got into the letter once she got started and ended up writing five pages.  

She had some good ideas in her letter, which we sent to Nana.   Nana is thinking about her second book already and my daughter hopefully said in the letter, "I hope you use at least one of my ideas."  I asked her where she got all of her ideas from and she said, "oh, they were inspirations.

My daughter wrote to Papa the next day and in her letter to him, she said she hopes Nana will publish her book.   My children love their grandparents.  Wouldn't it be fun to have a book your grandmother wrote on your bookshelf?

The Big Boy Update:  My son came upstairs today during school hours and got a sheet of braille letter stickers out of his sister's desk drawer while she was working on some reading comprehension. He came back later and asked if I had any braille number stickers.   I found some and didn't ask what he needed them for.   A short while later he came upstairs with his chess set all labeled so that his sister knew what the different cells on a chessboard were called.  She was very excited about this and about having him teach her chess.   He came over and asked me if I could add tactile tape to mark off the grid so she would be able to discern each space and I did so on my next break.  I'm hopeful we can get them playing chess together soon.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves our dog.   The dog loves her just as much.  Matisse seems to have a sense of when she's needed emotionally by my daughter.   This was last night at bedtime after my daughter had nearly smothered her in little girl love.   It didn't seem to bother Matisse at all as she put her head on my daughter's shoulder while she went to sleep.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment