Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Art in Nature

My son was tasked to create a piece of art for the week in the style of Andy Goldsworthy.   When I read that was his assignment I was pretty excited, which doesn't happen all that often when it comes to me and art.

I did that thing parent's do when they're more excited about something than their child is—I hovered around him saying how cool it was that he already knew Andy Goldsworthy's work from looking at my books and what did he think he might want to do and had he thought about maybe something in the back yard and, oh! it could be with stones from the creek or sticks or leaves or..."

That's when I got the "mom, not right now." response coupled with the look of annoyance.  I had to back off and move in more slowly.   I did and my son did become interested, looking through my books again with particular interest on the one with the giant snowballs.

Today was the day to stop thinking abstractly and start doing something for your project.  He was a little overwhelmed, looking at the huge installations in nature Andy Goldsworthy had done.   I had to show him again how some of the works were just leaves arranged in a pattern.  His father showed him an example from her daughter that was small in scope and time investment.

My son and husband went outside and I got this picture of what is very reminiscent of Andy Goldworthy to me.   Now that the piece has been completed and photographed, nature takes over and come what may to the work itself.  Here's what my son made:



The Big Boy Update:  My son is on day three of The Great LEGO Redressing event.   We'rthede not sure how long it's going to take but in the end, all LEGO Minifigures should be appropriately clothed in the items they originally came with.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is spelling some crazy hard words these days.   We're picking the words for her to spell at the end of the day from her reading during the day.   She knows the words and has read them, this gives her a chance to think through the spelling.   She's getting close on a lot of these hard words and not upset she can't spell them because she knows it's to learn, not test.   Today she had cylindrical, actually, embarrassment, survive, president, combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment