Monday, April 27, 2020

The Best Bok Choi

It was time to go to the grocery store and restock our food supplies.   Typically we have most things on the shared shopping list we've maintained online for a number of years but it never hurts to check with the other one to make sure there are no last-minute additions to the list.

My husband was out playing golf at the time, which when you first hear about someone out doing something social in the current medical pandemic state, just sounds wrong.   Golf though has no problem maintaining social distancing and more simply because it's a sport played in wide, open spaces.

But back to the shopping.   I got a text back that I should pick up some vegetables for meals.   When I got to the produce area I started looking around.  I used to be able to cook.  I can still cook, but I rarely do because my husband loves cooking.  He doesn't seem to ever want a day off.  It's relaxing and he enjoys coming up with new things.   He's pretty good at new things and we let him know which ones we think he should make again.

While I was looking for the zucchini and squash I noticed several things I'd not seen before.   There was Chinese celery which looks the same in length but is much, much thinner.  I tasted it when I got home and it tastes great, I ate several stalks while I put the groceries up. Next, I found snow peas and put a pile in a bag. And then, because I was on an Asian food ingredient theme, I got some baby bok choi that were flowering at the top.

When my husband got home from golf I told him I'd gotten hi some different vegetables.  Was he up for the challenge?   Tonight I attended an online board meeting for two hours.  When I came out I found my husband had met the challenge.   He had made sesame chicken, ginger snow peas and had cooked the little bok choi up whole, using a recipe titled, "The Best Bok Choi."  Everything was great.   My daughter and I loved the bok choi.   My son loved the chicken.   I could have eaten a whole extra plate of snow peas.   The only thing bad about the meal was the excess of dishes it took to make the dishes.   On the balance, I think it was definitely worth the cleanup though.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Color Argument:  My children were very angry the other day.   I heard them come in from the back yard stomping and yelling and doing what children do when they can't solve a problem on their own: they go to an adult.   This was one of those absolutely ridiculous arguments from an adult perspective.   There were two of something theyhad.   Each child had received one of these things for Christmas and had no problem about the color at the time.   It is now four months after Christmas and suddenly after months of use, there is a color injustice.   The children were upset because my son was saying the orange one was his and the green one had been given to my daughget becaus she loves green.   This was true: my daughter loved only green for most of the time she was sighted with the love carrying over into her blind years.   She had gotten over green it would seem now as she said in angrg wail, "but it's green!  I can never handle green!"

No comments:

Post a Comment