Thursday, April 16, 2020

From Long Ago, and Yet The Same

I was putting the Andy Goldsworthy books back on the display shelf in the great room today and I stopped to look at the other books I'd deemed important enough to keep there.   I stopped to look at a small volume titled "Baby's Health".  I remember when my Mother-in-law had given it to us.



The guideline at the bottom is still true, research is showing.   I opened up further to find the original owner of this book was born in 1917.   A drawing of his footprint was taken as well as a lock of hair that has been meticulously pinned down.


The provenance of the little book grows more interesting as I look further.   One thing I did notice though as I looked at the last remaining page of advice for children who have made it to the age of our children.   It appears to be sound advice still, even one hundred years later.


The Big Boy Update and The TIny Girl Chronicles:  School is going.  It doesn't seem like anyone's thing is hard or time-consuming.   It's the totality of the work that gets you.   The children seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that my husband and I are mostly winging this.   Or is the phrase, "flying by the seat of our pants" more appropriate?  Perhaps so.

No comments:

Post a Comment