Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Bounce King

I am so glad we got the trampoline and even more glad that we decided to upgrade to the larger one.  What I'm not happy about is that I can't use the trampoline much.  Or rather I shouldn't use it as much.

It's odd that I can run a marathon and yet I can't do something simple sitting on the floor, putting a puzzle together with my son.   I have two things going on.   The first is the fusion I have in my cervical vertebra.   The fusion reduces the motion points I have in my neck and makes doing some things, like looking into the back seat while driving, very hard to do.  The other situation is the osteophytes in multiple places along my spine.  These are bone spurs or places of additional growth.

These two situations make it such that certain things hurt a lot because it puts pressure on my spinal cord or the nerve bundles coming out one of the foramina.  The question is: is it bad or damaging for me to jump on the trampoline?

There are certain types of jumping that is easy on my spinal cord while some things are jarring.   The trouble is, when you're on the trampoline with another person or people, you don't control how they jump and any minute you might get a bounce boost when your and their jumps are just right.  There are multiple things that hurt, which might not be that bad.   It might be the things that don't hurt but that stretches something in the wrong direction and I'll pay for it later.

My husband, on the other hand, is jumping every day.   My daughter loves when he double bounces her.   I know I've written about this before, but wow, are they getting good at it.   My daughter sits crosslegged and predicts the bounce before it happens.   She drops her legs partially as she'd launched
into the air and flails her arms around to balance and keep upright.   As she comes down, she pulls her arms and legs back into the starting position, almost making it look like time is going in reverse.

My husband is very good at double bouncing.   I've tried with my daughter but I in no way compare to her father, The Bounce King

The Big Boy Update: I watched as my son came upstairs, went to the knife block and got one of the good knives and start to head back downstairs.   When I asked what he wanted to do with it he said clean the popcorn machine.   I said we were going to have to find a better tool than a knife to clean it.   He looked sad, not mad that we'd taken the knife away.   I think he really did want to hep.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  There had been some injustice done the other day.  It was hard to understand the true horrificness of the bickering that had gone on between my daughter and her brother but from the wailing and crying, it was bad.   As my daughter got the part in the story where she felt things couldn't get any worse she took a deep breath and said, "bless my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment