Sunday, April 12, 2020

Complaint Registered

Last night after the children were snug in their beds I got to work dispersing Easter things around the house.   I had been holed up in the craft room for a good portion of the day preparing easter eggs and baskets.   I had underestimated the amount of time it would take to go through the bag of plastic Easter eggs (of which we have a good collection) and match halves, put candy or trinket in and the snap them shut.

We have all different kinds of eggs from multiple years.  Just when you think you had the right yellow to math, it would turn out to be another one of the side you were holding already.   I got it done though, as well as a small hunt the children could do for each other using some all pink and blue eggs my mother-in-law had gotten last year.

Once everything was packed up, I could put the easter baskets at their seats, hide the eggs and then go to bed, knowing that the children would be occupied in the morning and we would have a chance to sleep late.   I needed to do one more thing though for my daughter, and that involved printing a letter to her from the Easter Bunny.   And here's why:

There are eggs hidden, maybe?  Possibly?  Definitely?  If so, where?  How many?   Think about all those questions you'd have if you came downstairs to your seat on Easter morning and found a basket meaning the Easter Bunny had arrived.   We don't always have an immediate egg hunt, last year, for instance, the Easter Bunny came to my in-law's house.   Eggs are small and can be anywhere.   Do you touch every surface, looking around the floor in all the corners, bookshelves, the list goes on of surfaces where Easter eggs could be hidden.

It boggles my mind how little she can perceive because she has to experience it through touch–and the hands are tiny in comparison to what the eyes can see with a single glance around a room.   So I had the Easter Bunny write my daughter an email that I printed and put on her basket:

Dear Reese,
I know you get up early so I emailed your mother and asked her to print this for you for when you wake up.

I have hidden thirty eggs for you and thirty eggs for Greyson. They are hidden in the basement and on the main floor, but not in your parent's room. Let's let them sleep in. You will know which eggs are yours because they have a small velcro dot on them like this: <I stuck one of the dots here> 
Keep a lookout for two big fuzzy eggs that are hidden together. They are both same so you can choose either one.

Since your grandparents couldn't be with you this Easter, I've left you and your brother an egg so big it needs its own handle and is filled with goodies!

Your friend, The Easter Bunny
P.S. Happy Hunting

With this information, my daughter could get up first and didn't even need her brother to start looking for eggs now that she knew there were some and which ones were hers.    And my plan worked perfectly.  

There was only one problem.   My husband registered a complaint.   He said the Easter Bunny had brought too much candy.   Way too much candy.   And chocolate.   My son even agreed with him.  Someone must have been hungry when they went to the store.   And then forgotten they had already bought things several weeks before.   We might run out of toilet paper but we are for sure not going to run out of candy.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is a gentleman when it comes to doing things with his sister that he knows she can't easily do.   He doesn't make her feel less than capable, he just works as a helpful team member with her.   Today while I was still half asleep I heard them running all over the house and him calling out to her to say when he'd found more easter eggs.   Then he helped by letting her know what she'd gotten when she opened something that was in a box.  He's a good guy.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves Easter.   She said it's her favorite holiday.   She said it's always been her favorite holiday.   I think she had a good day today.   She ate enough candy so I think I can say with true accuracy, she is very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment