Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Just Like Gramps

My son is in the middle of a complete LEGO rehaul in our house right now.   He's been working on it for close to two weeks now.   Initially, I thought he was going to go through the junk bin on top of the LEGO storage area and be done with it.   He's going down a LEGO rabbit hole it almost seems like at this point.

The LEGOs at our house are sorted into drawers by color and some specialty drawers for Minifigures, wheels large parts, etc.  My son initially decided to redress all the Minifigures with their original outfit and gear.    This is a large project in and of itself because the LEGO's we have include not only my son's but mine and my husband's going several decades back.  

There was a plan in his mind and what that plan needed to be executed was more space.   My son has expanded his organization into the craft room, which is a longish room originally planned to be our attic.   My son has managed to put all the bin drawers lengthwise down the room, on top of the desk, in the chairs and spread all over the floor.  

As I opened the door to the craft room to let him know it was dinner time, I saw the exploded, mid-organization of his LEGO project and it immediately reminded me of my childhood and my father.

My father is not a hoarder.  He doesn't keep things just to keep things.   He's not really a pack rat either.   He's a collector who, over the course of his life, has collected many things.  The trouble my father would run into after periods of time was lack of space.   His basement workshop would get piled up with collections of interesting things.   Some of the things might be valuable but odds were more than the things were uncommon or rare.   My father is the epitome of an eclectic collector.

Back to the bit where things got full though.  Periodically, my father would do one of those deep cleanings.   He would go through what was seemingly everything.   He would move things here and there but in the process, it seemed like he made an even bigger mess of the basement.  

It was always nice seeing the finished product when my father was finished.   I'm looking forward to seeing the LEGOs in their most organized shape ever when my son completes his project.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband is playing a driving game on the XBox and picked 'ZOOM' for the license place of his car.   My son decided to play the game too after watching his father play. Without either one of them even mentioning anything about car names, my son decided to name his car 'ZOOM JR'.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter isn't slouching on spelling work while she's doing schooling at home.   Any word we hear her read in her work or mention in conversation that might be challenging, we try to have her guess at the spelling.   She's learning letter patterns and she knows it's okay to get the spelling wrong.   The other day she had cylindrical and embarrassment as two of her words.  I told her that as an adult, those were words I wasn't completely sure I was spelling correctly, so we used Alexa to verify

No comments:

Post a Comment