Thursday, April 23, 2020

Blindness Basics Course

I was going through my inbox this evening, trying to get enough completed so I could start writing this blog post because I  have a surprise online birthday party to attend, which I'm pretty excited about.  I can't wait to see how we all yell out, "surprise!"  We'll figure out how to do toasts and say speeches and, well, I'm looking forward to it.   So with all this going on, the last thing I needed to do was sign up for an online course, but I did, and I'll tell you why.

I've been taking braille courses from Hadley for over three years now.  I've talked about Hadley to many, many people as their courses and the teachers I've been working with have made a significant difference in the relationship my daughter and I have.   This is an aside, but recently I was asked if I'd be interested in sharing my daughter and my story and how Hadley has benefited us as a family.   If you know me, you know I couldn't say yes fast enough, especially when I found out the testimonial would be used in donor-facing materials.

That's coming out soon, and I'm excited to see it but what I found in my inbox tonight was the periodic newsletter from Hadley that talked about a blindness basics course.   The goal of this short, self-paced online course is to educate people on how to interface with blind and visually impaired people.   The course is free and registration takes about one minute.   All Hadley courses are free.

Do I know all the blindness etiquette?   What myths about blind and visually impaired people did I not know?   I had to sign up.   If you're interested in the course, you can sign up too here: Hadley Blindness Basics Course.   There's even a certificate if you pass the quiz at the end, which I am totally putting on my refrigerator.

The Big Boy Update:   We have started building a section of a marble run on our wall that we will video and submit to KiwiCo to be added into their mega marble run compilation.   My son has worked for several hours coming up with creative things he can do with a marble on a 4'x3' wall section.   I'll share the video when we get our submission finished.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Sometimes it's better when you can't see.   This afternoon my daughter thought she felt a bug on her shoulder.  Shane looked and flipped this thing off her onto the driveway. the main body segment is an inch long.   We didn't know what it was but decided to not mention the how ferocious this thing looked.   The dog came over to investigate it and I don't know if she got bit but she ran off and rubbed her nose in the grass until I got some cold water and washed her off.


No comments:

Post a Comment