Thursday, February 20, 2020

I Have My Friend

My daughter is still having sleeping problems.  Well, sleeping isn't a problem, she's excellent at sleeping.  It's the waking up that's the issue.  She wants to go to bed early, will get her pajamas on (or not, she's happy going to bed in anything if she's tired enough).  We're doing a good bit of management trying to keep her awake if we realize she's getting to the point of being tired well before a reasonable bedtime.

Where this isn't ideal is the mornings, when she's waking up very early.  It's been as early as four in the morning.  She was waking us up and, after realizing we were sleepy and didn't plan on getting up to entertain her, she would complain.   This didn't work well for her or us.

My daughter has been coming up with different things to do when she wakes up early—listening to audiobooks or playing games on Alexa being two of the most popular choices.   This morning she scared me when I heard the house door chime sound, indicating a door had been opened.  I found her outside, looking to see if the snow had come in yet (it didn't arrive until this evening).

With snow on the ground and school canceled for tomorrow, I asked my daughter if she had something she could do to entertain herself in the morning.   She said, "I have my friend...Harry Potter."   She and her brother have been listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks a lot lately.   They're in the middle of The Chamber of Secrets currently and have it playing on and off at different times during the day.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was worried about me when I told him I didn't sleep much last night.   He gave me some time to get a nap in this afternoon.  I woke up to the children outside in the gently coming down snow with one very happy dog running around in the snow.   My son came in later this evening and asked me if I was going to stay up late again tonight?  I told him definitely not; one night without sleep was enough for me.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I put my daughter's winter clothes out by the fireplace, where she left them to dry in front of the fire earlier.   They were drenched and were more easily dried in the drier and I wanted to turn off the fireplace for a while.   Her dried things are now out and waiting for her in the morning in case she wakes up early and wants to go out in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment