Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Shelf Below

I have a saying: "if a thing is worth organizing, it's worth organizing again, and everything is worth organizing."  Things that were organized once tend to become unorganized over time.  Everything tends to gravitate towards chaos—or at least in my house it does.

Our pantry is fairly organized and I have "rules" I suppose on what we buy so that we don't run into overflow issues.  Over time we get things and wedge them into this corner or behind that box or in a stack on the floor.   I had gotten to my tipping point.  It was time to pull everything out and do things better.

Aside from taking time, this is a fun thing to do.   You get to get rid of things—things you didn't even remember you had.  I love getting rid of things.  There is a lot of consolidation, this time with spices. We had gotten a lot of new spices and they were all over the place.

The main reason I had decided to reorganize the pantry was due to an idea I had that would add a lot more space in the pantry.   We had a shelf at the bottom with all the containers necessary to pack a lunch box or store a snack in.   There were various sizes of containers and reusable pouches.   I had a new location on the island that I'd cleared for the pantry lunch box items.

I spent several hours getting everything redone in the pantry.  That shelf below the other shelves, which had always been used for non-food items, was suddenly free.   It could hold so much stuff.   It was like getting a bigger pantry overnight.

I try to make this blog more about words than pictures, but sometimes a picture explains it all.  Here's the finished project:



The Big Boy Update: My son built a lightsaber when he was at Disney.  At the time he had to select what alignment and color crystal he wanted, which determined the color of the light shaft and the sounds it made (different character's lightsabers make different sounds).  My husband found out it was an RF chip in the device and if you had an RF writer you could change the chip in my son's lightsaber.   We now have an RF reader/writer and my son has spent the afternoon changing the color of his sword, pretending to be the associated character and running around the house.  His friends were over and they turned it into a game.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was in an accident today.  It was a minor one and we've her checked out to make sure she was okay.  She was fine both physically and mentally and was more hungry than anything when she got home late.

No comments:

Post a Comment