Monday, February 3, 2020

Loving Democracy

My daughter and I went upstairs this evening before her brother did.   She and I were in the dark in her bed with the dog.   We were trying to fend off the dog's attempts to lick our faces while keeping her between us on the bed.   This proved to be difficult_not keeping her between us, that was easy, stopping her from licking our faces was hard.

The dog hopped off the bed and laid down on the bathroom tile floor to cool down.   My daughter got up and was getting the dog a bowl of water when my son bounded into the bedroom.   He, upon seeing me lying in his sister's bed, came over and whispered emphatically, "Reese loves democracy."

His father came into the room a minute or two later, told him to get into bed, told my daughter she'd given the dog enough water and to get in bed herself, discovered I was in the room and then left so I could finish the job of getting them settled for the night.

After a few minutes of chatter from the children, I asked my son, "do you like democracy too?"  He said, "well, dad really likes democracy.   I don't like it.   That's because I don't really understand it.  Dad tried to explain it."

He finished off the conversation by saying, "Palpatine loves democracy though..."  Leave it to my son to have a Star Wars reference.

The Big Boy Update:  I got a small Lego of a coffee shop from China today.   It wasn't LEGO brand but it was hard to tell otherwise, even the instruction manual followed the same diagramming style and the pieces fitted and felt the same.   My son wasn't interested until after dinner when he came over to see what I was doing.   He was suddenly back into LEGO mode and positively took over the model construction.   I started handing him pieces as fast as I could find them for one step ahead of where he was working.   I went to help his sister with some homework and came back to the room as he finished and he proudly showed me how the large coffee cup tipped on the top of the building.   I'm glad we got to do some of it together.   He gave up watching part of a movie, he was so engrossed in the model.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I were on her bed in the dark when the dog jumped off the bed and wend underneath.   I asked her what the dog was doing?  I'd seen the behavior before where the dog roots around, moving stored blankets around under the large trundle-bed sized opening under her bed.  She had also heard (and apparently felt) what the dog was doing from before.   She said, "Oh, she's playing a little game.   She pushes up on the mattress and growls at the blankets."   That's pretty much what she does.  My daughter had figured it out mostly from sound alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment