Monday, February 24, 2020

The Age of Homework

Do you remember when you first had homework?  I have almost no recollection of homework from my primary school years.   For instance, I don't remember as a second grader having to write fifteen sentences using each of the week's spelling words in context.  And then, when I was done with that, I definitely don't remember having to read to myself or a parent for fifteen minutes every day.

From prior posts, you'll likely know that's the kind of thing my daughter has to do for homework each week.  When I was in elementary school, I don't remember doing homework at all.   If my father were reading this (and I know he will), he would remind me of how I lied to him and my mother about doing my homework for onwards of half a year when I was in fifth grade.  

Sometimes I think my children must be very dense indeed to believe we won't catch them in a lie or see through their rather flimsy ruse, but I have only to compare to my younger self, and I think perhaps my children aren't doing half bad in comparison.   Because what was I thinking?  How could I have possibly believed my parents wouldn't find out I was pretending to have no homework for months on end?

I have many memories of my fifth-grade year.  We had Clariet the guinea pig, from whom I learned how to make that terrible screeching noise they emit when they want something.   There were the baby gerbils I got to take care of over P.E. one day and accidentally dropped one that then died in my hands from its injuries—a trauma of guilt I carried with me throughout the remainder of my childhood.  And then there was the coveted position of A.V. Assistant who got to load the film reels on the projector—a position I wanted but never had.   And finally, getting caught for lying to my parents for half the school year about having no homework.

I don't remember there being parent-teacher conferences, but I'm guessing there were because at some point my parents knew.   I don't remember the conversation they had with me when they found out, but I'm certain there were tears.   What I do remember are the countless conversations my father would have with me over the remainder of my pre-college years about how "I had lied to them about doing my homework."  Graduating from high school in the Honor Society, I think was finally enough evidence I'd decided to do my homework without any needed follow-up.

Because of that incident, I know I had homework by at least fifth grade.  But was there homework in the years before?  I don't remember any at all.   Perhaps there was homework, but it may have been minimal and not daily.   I remember my days after school being carefree.   I'd come home and watch some cartoons while I had a snack, and then would run outside to play with my friends.

Which brings me back to my daughter and the amount of homework my daughter has.  I've talked about this before here.   I think it's a lot.   She's in the cab for a long time every day, getting home after five o'clock some days.   A half-hour of homework, after being at school all day, isn't how I'd like her to spend her afternoons.   I would much prefer she does something social and active with her friends.

My daughter is in a bit of a different situation possibly than many children her age:  she is academically doing quite well, meeting expectations in all curricular areas.   Socially and emotionally, she is behind though.   Any time we can have her interacting positively with her peers is a good thing.    We're trying to balance things and have her do it all, though.   For now, we're making it work.

I wonder if my children will lie to us and say they don't have homework when they're older?  My daughter is too conscientious a student so I doubt it.   My son might very well try it.   I'll report back here in a few years with an update.

The Big Boy Update:  I picked my son up today and he said, "I want to go home and play chess."  He wasn't a big fan of Chess Club at school and hasn't been too keen to play really ever.   When I came home from a meeting tonight I found him and his father playing in the dining room.   I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but his beloved Spanish teacher who also taught chess club was diagnosed with aggressive cancer.  All the students have taken it very hard.   They hope he'll be able to come back to school.   We all do.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter gets up early sometimes.  The other morning she went out on our porch and was singing to herself.   She went outside so she wouldn't wake any of us up with her voice.  Our neighbor came out with their two dogs and realized she didn't know he was there.   He listened to her for a while before announcing his presence on the street.   He said she was quite good.


No comments:

Post a Comment