Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Sentry Mode

We're back home todat after spending five very nice days away in Las Vegas with some friends and a race. After doing this for many years both before and after getting married, we've got a system that works the best for us by maximizing time and reducing frustration and hassle.

My husband looks for an overnight flight departing as close to midnight as possible.  This gives us the advantage of time zone changes during the night.  If my husband can upgrade us via points or miles to first class, he does that too.  That takes care of a flight, leaving us open for gonig to shows, dining at restaurantsm gambling or doing anything else in Las Vegas for almost the whole day.

The next thing we do is we don't check out until the day after we've left.   It's hard to get a good late checkout.   Commonly if you ask they'll give you eleven o'clock instead of ten o'clock.  Maybe a few times if we've remembered to ask when we check in they've given us a few more hours, but you're not getting until nine-thirty that night...unless you're checking out the next day.

Usually with whatever deal my husband has worked for the trip, adding on an additional day is something like a hundred dollars.   That's fifty dollars apiece.   That's money we'd consider spenfing on a nice buffet with all our friends including bottomless mixed drinks, wine or beer.   That's not very long on a roulette wheel or slot machine depending on your luck.   It's a fraction of tickets to a nice show.

In perspective, if we were willing to spend fifty dollars on some things we enjoyed, why wouldn't we spend it on keeping the room for one more night so we could leisurely get ready at the end of the day.   We could take showers and leave for the apriort clean,   We wouldn't have to carry around purchases with us all day because we'd checked our bags at the concierge after having to check ou tmid day.  

In shory, it is one of the best things we've done in recent years.   Yesterday afternoon I went back to the hotel after having a very large buffet lunch, followed by going to the Pinball Hall of Fame.  I was tired and I wanted to take a shower.   So I did, and then I fell asleep.  When I woke up I got ready to head to the airport.   Then we just walked out.

I slept some on the first, long flight,   My husband slept some on the second, shorter leg.  I wanted to take a nap when I got home, but I got involved with unpacking and doing loads of other things.   Tonight I'll sleep.

When we got home the dog did her "Sentry Mode" out in the front yard.  The camera my husband installed that lets us know of any activity happening.  It's intelligent enough to ignore the dog almost all the time but sometimes it triggers and I see something that looks like this:



The Big Boy Update:  My son has figured out how to make, "a piercing cacophany" of sound (as he describes it).   It's painfully loud.   He's going to try and tone it down he said.   He's going to be put out to eat alone on the deck otherwise.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came home with Nana and Papa from school today.  She bounded in the door, happy to see us both and give us hugs each.   I told her we had gotten her a few things.   She liked the metal we had each gotten for completing the race that had a piece that rotated on it.  She liked the flip flops that were, of course, "flip" flip flops with faces of bears on the front area.   Then I let her pull a key chain from a grossgrain bag.   I showed her what the item was so she could feel it.  There was a golden bear done up in pink and white crystals.   It was a girl bear because she had a skirt on.   Her legs and head were partially articulated, making it move some.   Then I showed her the left hand.  Dangling from the left hand was an even tinier bear being toted around by our small bear friend,   After explaining what it was my daughter squeezed it tightly to her chest and swueaked, "how did you know?!"  How did I know what?  She said, "Bears are my favorite!"

No comments:

Post a Comment