Thursday, November 14, 2019

Getting Scary

My daughter has been listening to an audio book on the way to and from school in the cab for the past two days.   It may have helped her be in a better mood when she got to school as two days ago she had a better morning than she'd had in a long time.   It could be her reaching a saturation level with the medication she's taking.   We're not sure, but she did say the audiobook helped her start the day out in a better mood.

Today on the way home from school she called me.  I answered and asked if everything was all right. She had called because she said the book had gotten to a scary part.  She was listening to The Neverending Story.  I was in the car with my son at that point, having gotten him from school.   He and I had watched the movie so I asked her what the part was and maybe we could help her out.   She said, "It's the part where Atreau gets poisoned."

My son and I told her we knew the part and I said the good news was he was going to be okay.   He wouldn't die?  No, he would be just fine, I explained.  I told her he was going to be in the story all the way to the end and he and Bastion were going to work together to save the world of Fantasia.  She said in a much more positive and hopeful voice, "he does? Okay, I want to keep listening now."  Then she hung up and that was that.

Tonight she asked me about another scary part and I told her again that things would be fine, giving away tension in the plot by telling her what was going to happen.   She doesn't seem to mind this at all.   She'd rather know what was going to happen and then can listen to the book worry free.

The Big Boy Update:  Last night as my husband was getting the children ready for bed my son told him, "hey dad, you're getting thinner.  It seems like you're transferring your fat to mom."  Neither my husband nor I have changed weight, but it's always nice to get an unbiased opinion from your child on how you look.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughger loves the dog.   We have arguments over who the dog loves more, who's dog it is (She's my dog.  No, she's my dog!) and who loves the dog more.   They're always lighthearted discussions with my daughter.  She believes, I think, that the dog absolutely loves her the most.   And that's the way it should be, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment