Friday, November 15, 2019

There Should Be Cup Holders

My husband and I are on a flight this morning. My children are in the very capable hands of Nana and Papa while he and I head to Las Vegas to participate in the Rock and Roll Marathon series of races. We’re signed up for the half marathon this year. We’re not as trained as we’ve been in the past for races, so we’ll see how much we run and what we’ll need to walk. Regardless of how we do in the race, it’s going to be a fun few days together with each other and friends.

I’m writing this blog post with my laptop on the seatback tray. Besides the laptop, at a distance of three-quarters of an inch, is a full cup of water. I keep looking at the water and thinking about how clumsy I am. My anxiety is high because one false move and the cup of water could get knocked on my laptop. Turbulence, someone walking by that knocks my laptop, the person in front pf me. Too many scenarios in which my water cup could end up on and then inside my laptop.

I had to stop to drink the water before going on, it wasn’t worth the risk. It got me thinking though, why don’t airplane armrests have cup holders in them? Don’t mean like in first class, I mean like in a car where it’s not a little round divot like on the seatback tray, I’m talking about a fully formed cup-shaped spot that fits most beverages.

There are challenges because the armrests in coach are thin, but could pop-out version be added like you find in cars? Maybe they would snap and break. What about using that polymer they use in children’s glasses that the optometrist demonstrates by twisting them all around. There must be a reason because in all the years I’ve been traveling, I haven’t seen cup older.

The Big Boy Update: My son came over and gave me a hug goodbye last night since they weren’t going to see us this morning due to vert early flight. He didn’t even tell me I couldn’t kiss him.
m
The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter happened to be able to catch me on the phone this morning as we were rushing to make our connection. She said her audiobook wasn’t working. I told her to ask the driver web she was stopped. The entire time we were on the phone both today and the last several days, there is very loud dispatch talking going on. Just from that little sample, I can understand why my daughter wouldn’t want to ride in the cab without something to occupy her. Hopefully, she got the audiobook working after we hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment