Monday, November 18, 2019

The Croissant Imbalance

My husband and I ran a half marathon last night in the Las Vegas Rock & Roll Marathon series.   There were people running marathons, half marathons and 10K races all at the same time.  If you've followed this blog for a number of years, you know this is a race my husband and I go to with friends to have a bit of a vacation and to spend time with friends in Las Vegas.

The race went well.  I was able to run for a lot longer than I had expected given that I didn't train really at all  We walked through the water stations, which helped get some of the feelings back into my toes.  My husband decided he wanted to walk a lot of the last three miles because his heart was higher than he liked it.   

So we finished and it was fun and not as bad as I had feared it would be without training.  We got showers quickly and then went to get some food.   I was sort of bonking at that point because, in my slouched position in the chair at the bar/restaurant, I misread "GREG" as "OREO".  He was pretty understanding about it and brought us out some much-needed food. 

This morning I got a picture for my husband, showing a pricing mystery he had heard about, but needed evidence on.   When I got coffee at the coffee shop in the lobby, there was a display of pastries available.   Every pastry there was under $5.  The Croissant, for some reason, was more than anything else.   My husband said maybe it was more difficult to make or larger.   I didn't think it was, but I hadn't paid that much attention.   Then, this morning, I got evidence of a price gouging operation:


Thc chocolate croissant was the same general size, only had chocolate added—and yet it was one dollar less.   All the other pastries below (I didn't get a picture of them) were all more ingredients like a cheese danish or big muffins—and they were all under five dollars.   Is the croissant the most popular so they charge more?  It can't be more difficult to make since the chocolate croissant is the same, only has chocolate.   If you have a reason other than for-profit padding for the upcharge of the croissant, let me know.

The Big Boy Update:  My son didn't realize he took his Adderall this morning because he was watching a show before school.   He took it, he was just occupied mentally.  We have gone back and forth between letting them watch shows in the morning.   I'm not sure they should be allowed, but I'm not sure it should be prohibited either.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter called and told me her brother was getting the Alexa seat every time, and she's being kicked out of it by nana and papa.   I don't know if this is true or if they think he needs to be there to see or what, but it's upset her.   Even if she can't see, she wants to have equal rights to the chair closest to Alexa.   This story also could be completely different than reality but is how my daughter sees the situation in her mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment