Thursday, November 22, 2018

Do I have Something Special To Wear?

Thanksgiving day here was fairly laid back.   My husband and I tried to sleep in with little to no success as my children were in contentious moods and needed to thwart our attempts at sleep every two to five minutes with questions, complaints and whining about this, that or the other thing.  

But the day started out well.   It turns out the Tooth Fairy had remembered to leave my daughter a dollar under her pillow for the tooth she worked at getting out two nights prior.   For some reason we weren’t sure of (dad forgot) no money had been left the night before.   Perhaps there were a lot of children who lost teeth just before Thanksgiving.   Fortunately, my daughter was just as happy to have a dollar on the second night as she would have been on the first.

My husband started cooking around noon for our dinner including my parents and my in-laws.   My daughter decided she wanted to help me wash the dog but after the puppy was out of the tub (they both got in together) she elected to stay in and play games with tub toys for the next two hours.   While I got things ready for dinner, she happily ran bits of hot water to keep the tub warm.  

My daughter got out eventually, after I told her there wasn’t any time left and I suggested she wear a nice dress for the evening.   She said, “can I wear my pretty dress?”   I found out that meant the dress Grandma Shu had mailed to her for her birthday and yes, she could definitely wear that.   My son came in and saw her dressed up and said, “do I have something special to wear?”

I told him I would go get him something and that he definitely had something special to wear.   I didn’t think he’d be interested in dressing up but after a bit of a hunt I found a nice T5 button down shirt for five-year-olds, can you tell we don’t dress up much here?  The sleeves were short but he was happy.   I thought it was sweet he wanted to dress up too.

Dinner was good, as always.   My father made his famous cream top macaroon pie and my mother-in-law cleaned all the dishes with an assist from my mother.   The dog discovered people food for the first time via the crumbs of bread my children left under their chairs.

The house is back in order and tomorrow we start on decorating the house for Christmas, a bit earlier than we typically do, but we have a wedding celebration this coming weekend so we’re gearing up for the holidays early this year.

The Big Boy Chronicles:   My son has been manic, and I mean manic, for the past two days.   We’re not sure why.   We took away screens for the day and thought about blaming too much screens the prior day as the cause, but he’s had screens before, has had many times, and it hasn’t been like this.   He had some Benadryl which usually makes him low-key and sleepy and it only toned him down a tiny bit.   He hasn’t had extra sugar or a change in diet.   Tomorrow I hope he’ll be back to his normal self.

The Tiny Girl Update:  My daughter fell asleep at the dinner table before dessert and then had to be dressed for bed while she complained so she could pass out early.   I think her antibiotic is making her tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment