Friday, November 2, 2018

Bye Bye BabyBjörn

My husband and I are going through the attic.   We’re on day three now with two more days planned before we go to Las Vegas, leaving our children behind with Nana and Papa.   Just after we return we have a bedroom suit of Nana and Papa’s being delivered to our house—which means we need to get an entire bedroom up into the attic beforehand.   And that means we need room—a lot of room.

We’re getting rid of some things we’d kept three years ago but decided we didn’t need anymore.   Three years ago the children were younger.   We had friends with young children who might have needed children’s items and, to be honest, it’s hard to get rid of things sometimes.

But it was time.   Or at least time for some things to go.  We rearranged, got some additional racks and moved lots of things around.   Or at least that’s what we’ve done so far.   But we’ve also done a lot of shoving to get things out of the way.   And shoving means we can’t get to the things behind the layers of shoved things.   So there’s more to do.

But on the positive side, we’ve purged a huge amount of stuff.   Today we got all the Halloween decorations in one place and the Christmas decorations in another place.  That hasn’t happened before.   And we have nice clear pathways to walk through.

We’ve found homes for a lot of our belongings—good homes.   For instance, our music therapist is due with her first child in six weeks.   We’ve given her some of the baby things.   Yesterday I did a super duper bleach clean up of the training toilets the children used.   It was a bit sad seeing them go so I took a picture:


On second thought, it wasn’t that sad, I’m quite happy my children don’t need them any more.   

As we were going through the Christmas things I had a box my mother had brought over with the Christmas ornaments we put on our tree as a child.   As I transferred the ornaments into a smaller bin, I remembered putting each of them on our trees as a child.  

Time hasn’t been kind to some of the ornaments, surviving hot summers in an attic for forty years, but most of them are still in good enough shape to go on our tree in the coming years.   As I got to the bottom of the crumbling box I found this:


My mother’s name is LaRose.   I don’t know if she made it or if someone made it for her.   The felt on the back is disintegrating and I don’t know how it was hung, but the cross stick is still in good shape.

The attic work isn’t done, but we’ve made big progress.   We have enough things out of the way that we can start to make space for where the bedroom suit we have in our guest room now.   It’s been fun going through things and most especially purging, but I’ll be glad when the job is done.

The Big Boy Update:  We cheated today.   We had my son’s parent teacher conference but no child care for my son.   We told him we were going to, “cheat” and leave him in the car on the school grounds, parked in front of the front office, while we had his conference.   The tinted windows hid him in the back and he had the car locked while we were gone.   He knew if there were any issues he could go to the front office.   Before we left we told my sone he would have screen time while we were in the conference (which would have occupied him for hours).   I told him to end his game upstairs and come down so we could get in the car to leave when I heard him call out to me, “just so you know, this thing is portable.”  We haven’t really let him know the Nintendo Switch can go places and isn’t tied to the television.   He’s apparently know it all along though.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told me, “the best part of your body is your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment