Friday, April 6, 2018

Womanhole

Children can say things that are innocent to them but can make adults laugh.   My daughter had me laughing twice in the last few days.  

The first one was a simple observation today.   As we walk along in unfamiliar territory, someone holds my daughter’s hand.   We, the adults, steer her clear of obstacles and tell her when there’s something she needs to do, like climb steps or step off a curb.    But we make mistakes.   Today there was some unevenness with a manhole cover that was inset into the sidewalk a bit and my daughter stumbled over it.  

I explained to her what she’d walked over and asked if she knew what a manhole was for?   She said she did, but what she really wanted to know was why weren’t there any womanholes?

The one that I’ve been trying to not giggle about is what she’s been doing when I apply sunscreen.   She got burned in a few places badly on the first day and ever since it seems like every adult has been putting an added layer of sunscreen on her at least once a day.   One of the areas was at the back of her bathing suit where we had put sunscreen, but when she jumped around in the pool, her suit rode up on her bottom, exposing about a half-inch of additional skin.  

She would have her overly big swim shirt on or some shorts and when I would get to the tops of her legs she’d pull the material aside and say, “I’m opening up my garage for you”.    She’d do this for each side.   I asked her where she’d heard the saying and she said, “oh, I just made it up”.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been making these faces lately.   They’re complex faces with lots of messaging behind it, like credulity or feigned anger.   He’s really good at them and we almost always laugh when he does it—which is what he’s aiming for.   A month ago he didn’t have this level of expressiveness without words.   It’s really cute to watch.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We were out of toilet paper and my daughter wanted to help.   She took the old roll end off, got the new roll and then put it on.   Then she informed my husband, “you can be the first to use the new roll” in a sheer gesture of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment