Friday, April 20, 2018

Star Wars Symphony

We took my six- and seven-year-old to the symphony tonight.   Star Wars and John Williams music was featured and both my children love Star Wars.   We figured my son would be more interested in one way because he could see the stage while my daughter would be more able to hear the details from the live orchestra.    But we were gambling with two rambunctious children when the show didn’t start until their bedtimes.  

It went well—surprisingly well.   We took them to a nice dinner beforehand and then treated them to ice cream before going into the auditorium.   There was balking on the part of my son when he was told he had to dress a little nicer while my daughter was happy to put on a fancy dress.   She didn’t like the shoes and there was some convincing her that tennis shoes did not count as, “dress shoes”.  

As we came in the building my son saw Darth Vader with a long line for pictures with him.   He did not want to do that, he said.  I took him to our seats and my daughter and husband stood in line and I have the sweetest picture of her holding Darth Vader’s hand, which may well have been a shock to him when she grabbed it.

Settled in (or as settled as you can be as a child) and the music started.   There were whispered questions and more of the squirming, but they were great considering their age and lack of sight for my daughter.    After intermission we weren’t certain if they would make it through the second half or if we would have to take them home due to cranky tiredness.    They both fell asleep after a few songs, which settled that, and my husband and I finished out the symphony while my children weren’t bothered in the slightest by the loud noise.

I think we’ll take them to theme-based events in the future more, like concerts.   My daughter seemed to be interested enough in just listening.   We took her to a Frozen performance a while back and the loss of vision was too recent and she was upset, saying she couldn’t see.   Now she’s happy to listen and ask questions.

The Big Boy Update:  We went to our Sushi and Thai restaurant tonight only to find they’d changed the menu.   They had added a Ramen noodles dish on the children’s section and my son decided to order it.   After a few bites he said, “this couldn’t get better.   Like if it got better, I would say it’s un-possible.”  He told our favorite waitress, Helen, who had the, “boss man” come out so my son could tell him too.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: In the bathroom at the symphony tonight there was a three-way mirror.   I don’t believe my daughter has ever seen herself in one before so I had her step into the area and look at herself on the left and right as well as in front of her.   She looked for a bit and then they announced the program would start back in five minutes.   As she turned to go she said, “bye me’s” to the mirrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment