Monday, April 9, 2018

Sushi Box Dinner

My parents and I went to dinner tonight with the children.   My husband was working at the office and wouldn’t make it for dinner so we had to go to our favorite sushi/Thai restaurant without him.   For the longest time my children ordered the same thing, the children’s teriyaki meal, but lately they’ve been branching out.

My son was the first to want to try sushi.   He said he liked it the first time and then a few trips later he said he wanted to order sushi.   He picked some things from the picture menu, which I worried he would most definitely not like, so I split the meal with him and hedged on the ordering by putting in some safer options for his palette.

Tonight my son wanted to order sushi again and was reaching for the picture menu when I noticed there was a, “Kid’s Sushi Box” item on the children’s menu.    All he had to do were hear the words and he was sold.   My daughter suddenly said she wanted that too, which surprised me.   She’s never been interested in sushi.

The thing was, the genius in the menu selection from the restaurant, was the box included sushi and french fries.   Two items that don’t go together to my tastes, but to a child (and parents) one or both has got to be acceptable to the child.   So we ordered for them both and I got a side salad and cup of soup, expecting to be helping with their sushi.

My son did better than he’d done before and my daughter did okay, what with it being her first real sushi ordering experience.  I’m not sure if they’ll go back to their usual orders next time though, but I’m glad they’re willing to eat sushi at their young ages.

The Big Boy Update:   In the car going to dunner my son said, “I just farted and it smells horrible.   I didn’t know farts could smell that bad that weren’t mom’s.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Tonight just before leaving for the car she suddenly remembered to bring Helen, her stuffed rabbit, given to her by Helen the waitress at the restaurant we were going to.   She was sad Helen wasn’t there though.   As we were leaving I asked the hostess if she could pass on a message to Helen for us.   She told me Helen was there, she was just working in the back.   When Helen came out she and my daughter had the best conversation about how well Bunny Helen was being taken care of, what she was being fed, etc.   My son got interested in the conversation and told Helen they fed Bunny Helen carrot cake for dessert.   My daughter told Helen she loved her as we left  and that we would be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment