Sunday, April 1, 2018

Maisey

Honestly, I don’t know how to spell it, but ‘Maisey’ is how it’s pronounced and I feel like going with the phonetic spelling for today.   Maisey is a dog my in-laws have been watching for the past two weeks.   Everyone has had a fun time playing with Maisey.   We’re sad to see her go, but she’ll go back home next door after dinner tonight.

It’s Easter Sunday and we’re about to have dinner at my in-law’s home in Florida.   Dinner follows a long day out at the small pool in the back of their house or, as in the case of some of the adults, multiple trips to stores that were open on this holiday day.    But either way, we made it to dinner and soon after that, dessert.

My mother-in-law is running the show.   She has given us each responsibilities during the day.   My responsibilities, in addition to making sure my children were being watched by adults while out at the pool (and they were in the pool *all* day) included making the peppermint ice-cream and creating name cards for the dinner table setting.

None of my duties were taxing in the slightest.   Firstly, all the adults—which includes everyone aside from my two children—were aware of them in the pool and made sure they weren’t left unattended and that sunscreen was applied on a regular basis.   Secondly, the ice cream making and name card creation was more of an assist by me with credit graciously given than me actually stepping in and doing much.   For the ice cream I poured the ingredients in and then scooped the completed ice cream into a container to be frozen.   For the name cards I was in charge of sticker application.   See?  Easy.

I’m being called to dinner now, I’ll report tomorrow on how things went, but since Nana is our Master of Ceremonies, I’m sure it will all go off without a hitch.

The Big Boy Update:   My son got out of the pool today and asked, “how long it it until half past never?”   He was told it was a long time.   It turns out this is a phrase his cousin, Kyle, said and he picked up on.   I wonder if he got the complexity of the phrase when he said it?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was in the pool today at Nana and Papa’s in Florida.   She’s been here for every year of her life but she remembers things differently every year.   She was walking around the back side of their small pool, moving slowly, when she said, “I remember there being stairs here”.   She was correct, there were two steps at that point in the pool deck.   She was cautious for a reason.   That level of caution will save her later in her life from injury I am most certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment