Sunday, April 29, 2018

The Longest Bath

It was bath night tonight.   We had an eczema problem with them when they were younger and their pediatrician recommended we don’t give them a bath every night, saying that children don’t have to have a bath, it would be okay and that we’re not negligent parents if we don’t clean them daily.   She said it was better for them even, provided they don’t get too dirty. 

We were lax this weekend so I think today was day three for baths which I can tell by the state of my daughter’s hair.   It looks nice if we work at it, but it really wants to turn into dreadlocks or something else that defies brushing and looks like the proverbial, “rats nest”.   I won’t go into the products and processes we do with my daughter hair to try and keep it manageable but suffice it to say, we haven’t found a combination yet that completely works with her fine, flyaway hair. 

This afternoon my daughter wanted to have a slime bath.   This is a powdered green product you put into the tub that turns the water into gooey slime—and she loves it.   Her brother wasn’t interested and said he’d take a quick shower later.   I got the slime powder and my daughter got into the tub.   And then she didn’t want to get out.  

She was in the tub maybe an hour-and-a-half, maybe more.   She had toys and was playing games with herself and when I would come in to check on her she would say, “go away” or, “leave me alone”.   So I did.  I got laundry folded, helped my neighbor with some things she came over to borrow and my son and I made a special drink he created that he plans on selling and making millions from.   (It was pretty tasty.)

Eventually my daughter drained the slime and ran clean water so she could wash her hair.   She got out and cleaned up all the toys and then, reluctantly, agreed to have her hair dried.  Only she wanted to do the drying herself.   

She held the dryer too close to her head so I turned the heat off and she mostly dried two spots, but by then she wasn’t opposed to me helping so we got the job finished fairly quickly.    By then her brother wanted to come and put makeup on them both—for some unknown reason he wouldn’t tell me.   We got out the makeup Nana gave my daughter and my son delicately made my daughter’s face pink, green and blue, asking me which colors were for the eyes and what applicator or brush he should use for each.   Then he wanted me to put some on him.   

My son also wanted to do something special with my daughter’s hair—something crazy he said—which I had to put a kibosh on as we had just gotten her hair brushable again.   So he brushed her hair and told her it looked beautiful in the back and she was very happy.  

It was a good day here.   The squabbling that typically happens was nonexistent, which was nice.   My children were gracious and kind to each other and had a happy day all around.   Maybe we need long baths more often. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son decided he was allergic to strawberries earlier this school year.   He’s not, but we let him avoid them for a while and then I reintroduced them when he’d forgotten.   This afternoon I came into the kitchen to find him with the child scissors and some strawberries.   He wanted to make a, “Double Strawberry” drink that included strawberry chunks.   I got out a cutting board and the children’s waffle cutter and showed him how he could finely chop a strawberry himself.   The drink he made was pretty good.   He poured little cups for us each to try and put an umbrella and mini straws in them to make the drink extra festive. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My children swish after brushing their teeth for a minute.   Typically they ask Alexa to start a timer for a minute or sixty seconds or sixty-five seconds or some other variant.   Sometimes they just count.   Today I was cleaning up while my daughter swished and I asked her when she was done if she was counting to sixty in her head.   And she surprised me.   She said, “I was following the clock ticks.   It’s easy, you just count them.”   I had forgotten the wall clock in the bathroom ticked.   But she hears everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment