Monday, April 23, 2018

Thumb and Index Finger

I have a brace on my right hand to isolate movement in my thumb.   I’m not sure if there is torn cartilage of if it’s strained or what, but it’s been bothersome and getting worse for about eight months now.   Short of going and having an MRI done on it I opted for the brace to see if it will improve.

I’d tried NSAIDs or rather I should say I was already trying NSAIDs because I take them for issues related to my spine.   It didn’t help much.   On the contrary, it seemed to be getting worse in spite of the anti-inflammatory medication and had started a clicking thing that added to the discomfort.

I ordered a brace to see if it would help, resting the thumb, giving it a chance to heal.  When I asked my chiropractor how long I would need to wear a brace he said six to twelve weeks.   I think I scowled at him when he said it, and if I didn’t, I was thinking it because it’s a long time to have your thumb out of commission.

I use my thumb a lot.   This post so far has taken me four times as long to write and I can’t even count the number of typos I’ve made but if my backspace key gives out, I won’t be surprised.   And texting on the phone—what a mess.   Texting is a two thumb job.   Down one thumb I’ve switched over to thumb and index finger.    And here’s the surprising thing: that wasn’t that hard.   I’m not bad with a different finger for texting.  

But twelve weeks is still a long time for an unknown level of improvement.   I’m going to give it a try though.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told me this yesterday as he was getting ready for bath time.  “I have my own language.   The language is Granan.  And Granada is the nation and the race of humankind that live there”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter made her own breakfast today, including getting her probiotic and vitamin.   She got the probiotic little pouch and figured out how to cut it open with her safety scissors.    The vitamins, she told me, “Greyson and I figured out how to open the bottle, you push down and turn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment