Saturday, December 9, 2017

Good At Math

I like math.   I’ve always liked math.   My mother was a math teacher so perhaps I had a predisposition to it.   I know neither she nor my father pushed math on me, but I far preferred it over the other subjects in school.

My children seem to like math too.  It’s a little easier to tell with my son because he’s learning subjects in the traditional order you would as a sighted child.   Granted he’s doing so in a Montessori way, meaning not all children are exposed to a trinomial cube when they’re four-years-old (see related post here: Trinomial Cube).  Even so, he’s being exposed to the math concepts in a similar order as a traditional curriculum.

My daughter likes numbers but she’s having to learn math tactilely, using an abacus.   But she’s also doing a lot in her mind.   She’s got the concepts, just like her brother does.   They both seem to be  able to make mental leaps once they get the idea behind something in the world of numbers.

This morning my daughter wanted to do math problems.  My husband and I were trying to sleep but her need to add “24 + 24 + 24 + a million billion” was strong.   I don’t think in kindergarten I was doing such math, but we helped her figure it out and then she was satisfied and went off to get breakfast.

My son prefers to do math work over his other work—to the detriment of his other subjects sometimes.   But he does love his math.   He put some problem he was working on on his water bottle a few days ago.   Now he can easily remember what 10,000 x 10.000 is when he gets his water bottle out of the refrigerator:


The Big Boy Update:  I told my son his favorite sitter was coming home from college soon and hopefully we’d see her over the holiday break.   He told me, “Morgan’s in college.   She’s going to marry someone soon.”  I thought he might have meant that she wouldn’t be available to sit if she were married so I asked him what he meant and he asked me, “do you find someone to get married to after college?”  For the rest of the ride we talked about getting married and when and why people did it.   In the end I think he was just glad he was going to get to see Morgan again soon.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We still have “The Song Seat” and “The Favorite Seat” in our car.   The song seat actually seems to be more of a favorite of late though.   Today there was some verbal parlay but my son was in the song seat and asked to hear, “Alone, by Alan Walker”.   At this point I’d like to say my children are finding all sorts of interesting music through Alexa and Amazon music.    I was just getting into this song when my daughter, clearly having forgotten her ire in not being able to pick the song, chimed in saying, “I love your choice, Greyson.”

No comments:

Post a Comment