Monday, December 25, 2017

Boxes Are More Fun

So it’s Christmas day and we had a lot of fun as a family.   There was chaos, there was mess, there was food and singing of carols and opening of presents.   Now the day is over and the first thing I’d like to say is a big thank you to every adult member of my family who likes to keep things neat and clean.    At the end of the day I’m sitting down here at my computer and everything is put away, the dishes are washed, the linens are in the dryer, the toys are all put in their place and the general hubbub of Christmas has been tamed.   My family is the best.

My daughter got a red Tesla Model S child-sized car and my son got a hoverboard.   And they were both very happy about their presents—my daughter being the most excited of everyone.   But there were big boxes and those proved to be more fun during the opening of presents.   We had to stop opening presents for a while so that my son could get into the big box, Nana could close him in and my daughter could write in sharpie on the box To: and From: so that my son could be a present.   Then, breaking from the present theme, we all sang Pop Goes the Weasel song and my son would pop out of the box on queue.   Eventually we got back around to presents, but that saying about the boxes being more fun than the presents is still true at ages six and seven.

The two boxes that were large enough to fit my children in were from the “American Falcon” my husband got.    My daughter was calling it that, confusing everyone until we told her it was the Millennium Falcon.   My husband and son love Legos.   The boxes were so big because the Lego model is the largest Lego has ever made.  I don’t remember how many pieces, but if the boxes are any indication, it’s a lot.

My husband worked in the kitchen most of the afternoon, making appetizers, a turkey and side dishes.   At one point he got on my son’s hoverboard, having mastered riding it quickly, and said, “I think I’m going to cook with this thing so I don’t have to walk.”   The hoverboard takes a bit to get used to, but it is pretty fun.

Fun day.  Happy children.  Happy family.  I’m very fortunate.

The Big Boy Update:  Nana had set the two tables for dinner so that eight adults would be in the main dining room and she would be with my two children at the breakfast table.   My son caught on though and said in a loud voice while pointing to his table, “we need more population at this table”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  This morning I told my daughter I had to brush her hair.   I said it was Christmas morning and we were going to be taking pictures so her hair should at least be brushed.   She got angry and complained, “I don’t want to take Christmas pictures, we took Christmas pictures last year!”


No comments:

Post a Comment