Saturday, July 9, 2016

Upside Down Stuck

I’ve been having pills and food get stuck in my throat for some time now.   I had multiple tests done including a scope and found out there wasn’t anything wrong, my esophagus just wasn’t straight.   It is likely due to the hardware in my neck from the spinal fusion.   Regardless of why, it’s there and I’m stuck with it.

I’ve tried to find a way to successfully get something stuck, unstuck including heavy drinking (not the alcoholic kind),  manipulating my throat with my hand while I swallow and eating something different—none of which worked.  It happens frequently enough that it’s frustrating, but there’s not much I can do other than to keep trying to find a solution.

Yesterday during my singing lesson my instructor had me lean over at the waist, relax my arms and sing to work on some diaphram techniques.  I had sang about two lines when suddenly I had a piece of food rising up into the back of my throat—food I didn’t know had been stuck in my esophagus.

This was not a technique I’d employed before, but if it works, I’m going to be looking silly frequently as I try to dislodge stuck food in the future.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I for some reason got into a discussion about McDonalds characters the other day.  I had mentioned Ronald McDonald and then told him about the other characters which weren’t really featured any more such as the Hamburgler.  After a bit I realized my son had no idea what I was talking about because he asked me, “what’s the new guy on the box with the arms?”   I then remembered the McPlay logo is just a red Happy Meal box with a big smile.   It’s the only McDonald’s character he’s ever known.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My children argue and physically address the situation with each other through minor acts of violence from time to time (okay, daily).   Usually my son is the more aggressive one but today I heard my daughter verbally warn my son with, “do I have to pinch you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment