Monday, July 18, 2016

Leftover Victory

We had ten people in our house last week.   This consisted of family members and some who weren’t technically family but are so close we like to think of them as family as well.    Good times were had which included good food, much of which resulted in leftovers from meals out and remainders from meals cooked at home.    When the dust cleared and we were back to just the four of us, we had a refrigerator of food to sustain ourselves on.

From a previous post you might remember I’m not a fan of leftovers.   And while it’s true I don’t find comfort in a refrigerator filled with food that needs to get consumed before it goes bad, for some reason I find a need to be sure the food does in fact get eaten and doesn’t go to waste.  

Today marks the full reset, the total finishing of those leftovers.   Some of them were challenging, such as the daikon radish we typically don’t use in cooking here.   And yet it was good on my salad.   The pasta…well, that’s never an issue in our house, the vat of pasta was finished up yesterday by my children and husband.   The restaurant styrofoam containers were heated up and served to my children as choices and pieces of their meal.  

We’re now back to about a fifty-percent full refrigerator, anal-retentedly organized into tidy categories of victuals and beverages.   And while I’m enjoying the cleaned out refrigerator, I am missing our family who have departed more.  

The Big Boy Update:  I told my son this morning that Lucy, our dog, wasn’t going to be with us much longer as she was old and not well.   He seemed to take this news somberly but then brightened, saying, “It’s Lucy’s birthday today!”   Why not, I thought, it’s as good a day as any, so I told my son we would have to celebrate after camp.   He wanted to make her a cake, which my children did with my husband, including Biscoff icing and some candles.   They wanted to invite their friends to join in the singing and cake eating so after dinner we all gathered around to sing to our dog to celebrate her birthday.   Then we got to see just how fast a little dog can eat a (tiny) slice of cake.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We built a large cardboard box house with our friends from Indonesia last week.   It’s still standing, although a bit worse for the wear, in our bonus room and is heavily used by the children and their friends.   My daughter and I spent her “special time” in there yesterday.   When we got inside the fort my daughter said, “we’re in Kingdom Come”.    It appears they’ve named the fort, I just wish I knew where they got the name from.

Fitness Update:  Did I even mention I ran ten miles this weekend?   I haven’t written a fitness update section in so long (my running buddy pointed out it’s been two months) I clean near forgot about it.  I did remember how to run.   I also remembered how unpleasant it is to run in the hot, humid summers of the south.  

1 comment: