Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Raconteur

My husband and I were in a conversation yesterday and somehow the word, “charisma” came up in relation to one of the people we were talking about.   We did what typically happens in this internet-connected, wireless enabled society these days—we looked up the word online.  

As I was looking up the definition of “charisma”, the Word of the Day popped up.   I said to my husband, “hey, do you think I’m a raconteur?”   I didn’t know the definition of the word and my notion of what it might mean was entirely wrong.   a raconteur is “a person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way.”

My husband said he thought I qualified as a raconteur on account of this here blog and my enjoyment of telling stories in general.   But I’m not sure.   I mean yes, I love telling stories.   Sometimes it’s getting me to stop telling stories that’s the problem.   But being able to tell a story skillfully or in an amusing way is more challenging.    For the blog here, most days I feel the posts would rate a solid Mundane score.    For those steadfast readers who are still with me, mundane posts and all, thanks.   I’ll work on becoming a raconteur.

The Big Boy Update:   I heard this from around the corner and could hardly keep from laughing out loud.   We’d been at the pool late to celebrate the swim team’s division victory.   My husband had gotten the two children into the shower and was getting them cleaned as quickly as possible while I got their clothes ready.   I heard my husband say to my son, “it’s not a called a ‘weiner', it’s a penis; you have one too”, to which my son replied, “yeah, but yours looks horriblier.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter helped make muffins today.   She is very good at cracking eggs and getting them into the bowl without breaking any of the shell off.    We made blueberry muffins for the swim team celebration tonight and she was proud to have helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment