Thursday, July 21, 2016

Blog Post Lurker

I usually come downstairs to write my blog posts after the children have gone to bed.  Sometimes I manage to get to the task earlier in the day, but for the most part I like to wait until the end of the day to make a decision about what to write.  Today I was at my computer earlier and was about to start writing this here post when I realized I was being watched.

Our basement is a “walk out” basement meaning it’s half underground and half at grade.   We have windows and doors on the East side and a poured concrete foundation wall on the West side of the basement.   My office desk looks out into the back yard through two windows and it was through one of those windows I realized I was being watched.

There was this little black head that was peeping into the window, looking at me and then dropping out of sight.   I got up and went outside to get a picture to show my children because they are friends to all animals:



He (or she) was a black snake and is quite harmless.   They’re not typically bothered or startled by humans and move at a slow pace.  The snake looked at me inquisitively for a few seconds and then went back to exploring the window.

I was looking forward to showing the picture to my son tonight and wasn’t disappointed in his excitement when he zoomed in on the picture and asked me questions.    He and his sister are both interested in animals, but they also know wild animals aren’t to be approached or touched unless an adult is with you and guiding the experience.   Their school has done a fantastic job of instilling a love as well as a healthy respect of animals in both children.

The Big Boy Update:  Did I write about the roly-poly?  Speaking of respect for animals, my son and daughter learned all about these little creatures in camp earlier this summer.  My son has now found multiple on the ground, letting us know each time, “they’re not animals, they’re crustaceans.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  This morning my daughter came down about fifteen minutes before we get up for breakfast.   She climbed in the bed and about two minutes later said to me, “Mom, why don’t you have earplugs so you don’t have to hear daddy snoring?”

No comments:

Post a Comment