Thursday, April 21, 2016

They’re Watching What?

I don’t know what my children are watching.  I would say TV, but they don’t do a lot of watching television since my daughter can’t see the TV without getting on a bar stool, standing up and holding onto the mantle to get right on top of the television over the fireplace.   My husband figured out another solution that does let my two children watch a show together using the bonus room television that’s only two feet off the ground coupled with my daughter leaning through the opening in the back of a bar chair so she can lie across the seat and be at eye hight with the show.    That’s a new development though (and an interesting one to see in action.)

What my children do is watch shows on their iPads when they’re allowed time on them.   For my son, that time is only on the weekend unless there is a special exception.  For my daughter, she uses hers less and less, but we still ask her to take a break to lie on her back and watch the iPad so the heavy substance can lie back on the retina in her right eye.

That’s not really getting to the point though, which is I don’t know what they’re watching when they are on their iPads.   It sounds like a real parenting failure, I know, but there are good things happening behind the scenes that make me not worried about it at all.   I control what apps they have on their iPads which is limiting enough itself.   One of the things I’ve put on though are television channel apps, specifically children’s television channel apps.   These apps are age-specific in what they show (Nick Jr., Disney Jr., Sprout, PBS Kids for example) and due the requirements by the government for educational content and commercials, what they’re watching isn’t that bad.

In fact, a lot of it is good stuff, teaching them morals and problem solving as well as core educational things like letters and math.   The networks also compete against each other and parents are keen to have their children watch good, quality shows.

Every now and then I hear they’re watching a new show because they’re talking about the characters.   I look into the show and am usually fine with the premise and content.    It’s nice to have checks and balances in place that help ensure our children are spending their “screen time” in a more positive way than what I’m sure I was watching as a child.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got in big trouble a while back.   He saw a Lego in my spot, where I keep my things and without asking opened it.   It was a birthday gift for the following day for a friend’s party.   He had to spend his chore money to help buy a new present.   Today, he noticed another item in my area.   He asked about it but didn’t open it.   He’s excited that this is a birthday present for Hollis on Saturday and he’ll get to give it to her.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter and son wanted to help dad cook dinner tonight.   My daughter kept saying she was a “shoe cook” and my son and I didn’t know what she was saying.   Then, I realized she meant she was a “sous chef”.

No comments:

Post a Comment