Thursday, April 7, 2016

Impossibly Long

The title of this blog involves the word ‘perspective’ which as we grow older tends to grow in magnitude.   Yesterday I had one of those perspective moments that in and of itself is harmless, boring and blasé enough to not matter at all, but it was something that made a mental impact on me.   It was about hair.

There was this television series I watched a few years ago.   The main actress had this lovely long hair that I envied, mostly because of length.   My hair grows slowly, so attaining her hair length seemed an impossibly long task.    Over the course of the five years the show ran, I always liked her long, straight hair.    The show ended and I didn’t think any more about it.

Then, last week, something reminded me of the show and I decided to watch the pilot.    As the episode unfolded I realized the main actress’s hair was as long as mine is now.   My hair, that even though it’s relatively long, still feels mentally short in my mind.   And yet, here was this actress with the impossibly long hair and my hair was the same length.    There’s nothing like time to give perspective.

The Big Boy Update:  Nana and Papa got my son a Harry Potter wand as a gift for when he arrived in Florida last week.   My son thought it was pretty keen how it turned on when he waved it.   What he thought was exceptionally cool was how he was a “fire starter” and could start their fireplace.   What he didn’t realize until the third day was that Nana was pressing the button on the fireplace remote when he’d wave the wand at it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has started saying daddy with a British accent as, “dadday”.  It took us a bit to realize she was repeating the pronunciation from Peppa Pig, a British cartoon that’s currently popular.   Once we realize that we started to notice other words she’s getting from the show.

Fitness Update:  I had another swim lesson today.   We worked on my flip turns (comical) and my breast stroke (pitiful) but by the end of the lesson I have a list of things to work on that I think are achievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment