Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Fine China

Children say the funniest things.   They may have juxtaposed two things together or misunderstood how something works, or in a lot of cases, they use a similarly sounding word in the place of a word they don’t know.   When I listen to my daughter sing along with pop songs in the car I think thirty percent or more of the words she’s replaced with words in her vocabulary.

I had a friend tell a story of one of these verbal word replacements that I couldn’t help but laugh about.   She told me her cousin’s family didn’t use proper names for body parts when they were children.   Instead of saying ‘penis’ they had another word like ‘your ting ting’ to represent the body part.   As a result, she didn’t know the word ‘vagina’ and was confused when she heard it.  It was only later that weekend that she figured out what they meant and told her cousin, “oh, I thought you were saying ‘fine china’”.  

I laughed and told my friend I thought it wasn’t a bad alternate name if we had to have one.

The Big Boy Update:  My son doesn’t get that telling his friends they’re the worst friends ever, that he hates them, that they aren’t invited over anymore and that they’re stupid does not make them want to come back inside and play with him.   He was about to do something with two friends when they decided to go see the new rings on the playground instead.   He didn’t like being left, but he didn’t handle it well either.   We gave him some advice but I think it will take some time and reminders for the message to get across.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Remember that punch biopsy we had done on my daughter’s bottom?  Well, we had to have another one today.   A new, large bump appeared and her dermatologist wanted to get a sample for culture this time.    My daughter was great until the procedure itself at which point she was an irrational, screaming, fighting, terror-ridden, crying child.   It was quick, but she isn’t much on reasoning at this point.   The bump was an active abscess, which gleaned great material for culture.  Hopefully we’ll know more soon and we’ll have a treatment that will help her get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment